Homemade Irish Cream Liqueur makes an amazing gift, and tastes better than the real thing! Perfect for celebrating St. Patrick’s Day or enjoying a nightcap anytime.
Ireland is a magical place. I have visited once, when I was a teenager with my family. We spent the holidays there and enjoyed a rare White Christmas in Galway.
The three things that stick out most to me about that trip and Ireland in general are the scenery, the people and the food.
Ireland is just gorgeous. If it’s not on your travel radar, it totally should be.
Our road trip through Ireland was like a dream: rolling hills and meadows, stone walls, white sheep polka-dotting the countryside.
The countryside is a lush emerald green you’ll never forget — a pretty exact match to that specific shade of St. Patrick’s Day green. My favorite sight was the Cliffs of Moher: steep cliffs overlooking a sea of crashing waves.
The people of Ireland are a proud bunch. Proud to be Irish, proud of their history, proud of their food.
I remember the first time I tried Irish cream liqueur. My mom sometimes serves it as an after-dinner drink over ice, sometimes as a splash in coffee.
The first sip was as magical as that first trip to Ireland. Irish cream is a sweet liqueur you can sip on its own or mix into cocktails. It’s smooth and creamy with a hint of chocolate and coffee.
If you’ve ever purchased it, you might be shocked to know how easy it is to make homemade Irish cream liqueur.
All you need are a few ingredients, most of which you might already have at home.
You’ll combine cocoa powder, instant espresso powder, heavy cream and a can of sweetened condensed milk, plus whatever Irish whiskey you love. (I went with Jameson.)
Whisk them all together and decant them into a bottle. Keep it in the refrigerator for up to two weeks — if you can savor it that long!
Whatever you choose, it’s bound to stir up some of that Irish magic. Sláinte! // susannah
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 cup heavy cream, divided
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups Irish whiskey
- In a 1-quart pitcher or mixing bowl with a spout, whisk together cocoa powder, espresso powder and a splash of heavy cream. Whisk in more cream a little at a time, until it reaches the consistency of a paste.
- Whisk in the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla and Irish whiskey. Stir in the remaining heavy cream.
- Pour or decant with a funnel into a 1-quart carafe or bottle. Store in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 2 weeks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 15mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g