Kick back with a Cinnamon Latte next time you need an afternoon pick-me-up. Cinnamon and a hint of vanilla pair flawlessly with coffee and cream in this delightfully delicious drink.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on one and buy something, Feast + West receives a small commission at no additional cost to you. All opinions are our own. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cinnamon Latte recipe
Right now I am on a tear to visit new places in town, from coffee shops to craft cocktail bars to cafes. We’ve had pizza, Thai, Peruvian, tapas and sushi, and a couple weeks ago we went to our first new-to-us coffee shop in a while.
I used to be crazy about trying new coffee shops, but not anymore. I am finding I just don’t make it out to cafés as much as I used to, so there are a ton of coffee shops on our list.
Instead, we made coffee at home. Two cups each, every morning. At least. Sometimes, I need an extra kick of caffeine and I whip up a quick latte or iced coffee.
It’s so nice to be able to enjoy my favorite drinks without having to leave the house! This Cinnamon Dolce Latte is just like the one at my favorite coffee shops, but it’s so easy to make.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This Cinnamon Latte is easy to make at home.
- You can use store-bought or homemade cinnamon simple syrup.
- Customize it with your favorite milk and espresso brew.
What is a Cinnamon Dolce Latte?
The Cinnamon Dolce Latte is a menu item at Starbucks coffee shops.
At Starbucks, this spiced latte features steamed milk, classic espresso and cinnamon dolce syrup and is topped with sweetened whipped cream. It can be ordered hot or iced.
At the time of writing (in February 2023), the latte is still on the Starbucks menu. However, at the holidays, the cinnamon syrup can be hard to find.
Homemade Cinnamon Dolce Syrup
Worried about not being able to find the Cinnamon Dolce Latte? Make it at home! I love to make my own simple syrup for easy coffee flavoring.
This cinnamon syrup is a liquid sweetener made with a simple mixture of sugar and water that are infused with cinnamon sticks. The result is a delicious spiced syrup that’s good in everything from coffee to cocktails.
I’m obsessed with making my own PSLs with pumpkin spice syrup in the fall now, which is made similarly to my cinnamon syrup, only with even more spices and real pumpkin.
To make a cinnamon bun latte, you’ll need just a few ingredients. I aim to show you how to make yours like a copycat Starbucks Cinnamon Dolce Latte, but I do make a few modifications to make it my own. You can make yours your own too!
Cinnamon simple syrup is so easy to put together with just three ingredients. You can make a big batch to enjoy all month long.
If buying your syrup is what you prefer, try this Monin Cinnamon Syrup.
Or if you like things a little boozy on occasion, a shot of cinnamon whiskey would work instead of the cinnamon syrup.
Next you’ll need espresso. I recommend a darker or medium roast. Feel free to make decaffeinated espresso — it is practically the same in flavor.
- If you’re using a Nespresso machine, the Ristretto capsules are my favorite because they are dark and pair well with the sweet cinnamon syrup and milk. If you’d like to keep decaf on hand, try these decaf capsules.
- If you’re using another method (more on that below), you’ll need a high quality ground espresso. A really strong coffee or cold brew will also work in a pinch.
Choose your favorite milk for your lattes. Whole milk is my go-to, but sometimes I will make mine dairy-free with either lactose-free milk or nut milk.
A cinnamon latte with oat milk is actually really good because oat milk froths really well. Almond milk, soy milk or any other non-dairy milk would also be just fine!
My homemade cinnamon spice syrup contains no animal products, so if you choose plant-based milk then you can enjoy a vegan cinnamon latte.
If you want to add whipped cream, go for it. I don’t usually do this for my lattes at home, because I love the froth of the steamed milk on its own.
However if you want a true Starbucks copycat drink, they do add the whipped cream. If you like the extra creaminess, definitely add it! Homemade whipped cream is my fave if you go this route. (You can even add a pinch or two of cinnamon for extra flavor.)
You can also use spice blends that contain cinnamon, like chai spice, pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice to bring in a little more spiced flavor.
How to make a latte at home
1. With an espresso machine
The easiest way to make a homemade cinnamon dolce latte is with an espresso machine.
An espresso machine is definitely the easiest way to make lattes at home.
Espresso machines are expensive, but when I added up what we were spending on coffee shop trips, it made the expense worth it to me.
2. Without an espresso machine
Don’t fret! You can still make a cinnamon latte without an espresso machine. You have a few options:
- Aeropress: Learn how to use this easy method for making coffee and espresso with this tutorial. I have tried this before and it’s really delicious!
- Stovetop espresso maker: You can make your cinnamon spice latte on the stove by making your espresso in this cute little pot!
- Instant espresso powder: This is probably my least favorite method because I think fresh is better, but the instant stuff can still be good in a pinch, especially if you are traveling or can’t access these other methods.
Check out these tips for making a latte without an espresso machine.
How to make a Cinnamon Latte
Once you have made your espresso and steamed milk, follow these instructions:
- In a latte mug, add the your espresso and as much cinnamon syrup as you like. I do 1/2 ounce because I like things on the less-sweet side. Stir together.
- Then spoon in the foam. If you know how to do latte art (lucky you!) then have at it here.
- If you’re adding whipped cream, that comes next.
- Sprinkle on your cinnamon, and enjoy!
I am not a latte foam artist by any means, but I am seriously obsessed with this drink. You can dress up the top with a sprinkle of cinnamon! Tastes just like a cinnamon roll!
How to make an Iced Cinnamon Latte
Craving an iced cinnamon dolce latte? No problem!
Just pour the syrup and slightly cooled espresso over ice and top with the steamed milk. Give it a gentle stir so as not to melt the ice too much.
You can add whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top if you like.
More latte recipes
- Make your espresso. Then add to a latte mug and add cinnamon syrup. Stir to combine.
- Make steamed milk. Use a milk frother machine or a milk frother tool to froth warm milk.
- Pour the milk over the espresso.
- Top with whipped cream, if desired, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 208Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 180mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 12g