Nothing says summer to me more than a glass of ice-cold, fresh-squeezed lemonade. The sickly sweet powder-based mixture was a staple at the picnics of my youth but the real stuff has always been a favorite of mine.
In college, I used to frequent this Mediterranean restaurant next to campus. They made the best fresh-squeezed lemonade to order. I like my lemonade on the tart side, not too sweet. The powder-based stuff is usually too saccharine for my taste, but this place did it right. It was always a special treat for me. Like, last-day-of-classes special.
To me, lemonade is best when there are tiny flecks of lemon pulp in the juice. I like to rub some of the sugar into the rinds before I juice the lemons — this helps the sugar to collect some of the bitterness of the rinds and to cut down on the sweetness. I read about that trick once, and it truly makes for better lemonade, I think.
All you need to make lemonade is lemon juice, sugar and water. This Spiked Lavender Lemonade has the addition of two more ingredients — vodka and lavender extract. The lavender adds a light floral flavor to the citrus blend and the vodka provides a little kick.
If these early summer nights need a little sprucing up, this Spiked Lavender Lemonade is the ticket. // susannah
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups fresh lemon juice (approximately 10 lemons)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon lavender extract
- 1 gallon cold water
- 3 cups vodka
- 1 lemon, sliced, for garnish
- Mint sprigs or lavender flowers, for garnish
- Add the sugar to a large gallon-sized bowl. Rub sugar into the rinds of the lemons to access the flavorful oils in the skins. Then, juice the lemons into another bowl and set aside.
- Pour hot water into the sugar. Stir until dissolved. The mixture should be thick and clear when the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in lemon juice, lavender extract and cold water. Refrigerate until cool, about 30 minutes or more. To serve, fill glasses with ice, then add vodka and top with lemonade.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 8 ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 202Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 11mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 0gSugar: 26gProtein: 0g