When my sister was visiting last month, she whipped up a huge batch of baked pita chips for a party we hosted. We served them alongside a big bowl of hummus and a cheese plate for people to snack on while they mingled. These chips went so quickly! And then my sister left just a few days later and I totally forgot to ask her for the recipe!
And then I noticed there were a few pita pockets hiding in the fridge so I decided to try to recreate her recipe. I had watched her brush wedges of pita bread with olive oil, then sprinkle salt, dried herbs and sesame seeds over top. My sister and I cook the same way, often without measuring, so I was pretty sure I could closely match the ones that she made.
Sure, you can buy a box of pita chips at the grocery store. But why? You can easily make four times as many for a lot less. Buy a stack of pita pockets to cut up, season and bake yourself! These Sesame Thyme Pita Chips are amazing as a snack all on their own, but you could also serve them with party dips or alongside a bowl of soup for something totally different. They would go so well with my recipe for Italian Hummus, too.
Better yet, you can season them with anything you have on hand. I bet they’d also be delicious on the spicy side with cayenne pepper and garlic, or even with cinnamon sugar for those with a sweet tooth. You really can’t go wrong here. // susannah
Click below to see the Sesame Thyme Pita Chips recipe!
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pita pockets
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Set aside two baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, combine sesame seeds, thyme, sea salt and pepper.
- Using kitchen shears or a knife, cut each pita into 8 wedges, then tear each at the outer fold. (You'll end up with 16 wedges total per pita.)
- Arrange the wedges rough side up on the baking sheets, overlapping slightly.
- Brush each wedge generously with olive oil. Sprinkle with sesame thyme mixture.
- Bake for 5-8 minutes, until browned and crispy. Bake closer to 8 minutes for very crispy chips or closer to 5 for softer, chewier ones. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Store in an airtight container.
You may need to make them in two batches, depending on the size of your baking sheets.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 10 chips
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 275Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 568mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g