Happy Friday, y’all! It’s the end of a short week, but it feels like it’s been an incredibly long short week, no? I’m excited to spend the weekend with Katie of Twin Stripe. We’ve been following each other’s blogs for months, and a project we’ve been working on for a while will finally come together this weekend. It will be so nice to meet in person! Katie recently did an awesome series of posts about growing a cocktail herb garden — it’s the best idea and I need to grow one pronto!
Now, for today’s Friday Night Delight. The Rhubarb Sour. Rhubarb is a springtime find at the farmer’s market. It can be hard to get your hands on, but when you do, buy a few stalks. If cooking with rhubarb is new to you, you should know that in looks, it’s a lot like a red celery. It has a tart flavor, but when you cook it with sugar, it is wonderful in desserts. It’s so much fun to cook with. You can whip it into a pie with some strawberries, or you can eat it plain with custard (my favorite!), Greek yogurt or whipped cream. Featuring vodka and lemon juice, the tart rhubarb is the star of this light, pink drink. It’ll be perfect to celebrate the dive into summer this weekend! I hope your weekend is great! // susannah
Click below to see the Rhubarb Sour cocktail recipe!
For the simple syrup (make ahead):
- 4 stalks rhubarb, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
For each cocktail:
- 1 1/2 ounces vodka
- 1 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 ounces rhubarb simple syrup
- Club soda
For the syrup (make ahead):
- In a medium saucepan, bring rhubarb, sugar and water to a boil over medium heat. Stirring often, reduce to a simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Fit a sieve over a medium bowl. Strain syrup into a bowl. (You can eat the rhubarb after this step! Or discard it.) Allow to cool before serving. Store in an airtight container for up to one week in the refrigerator.
For the cocktail:
- Fill a rocks glass with ice. Pour in vodka, lemon and rhubarb syrup. Top with club soda and stir gently to combine. Garnish with a lemon wheel and serve.