This recipe is sponsored by Martinelli’s. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Feast + West!
Gourmet Apple Cider Bourbon Jell-O Shots are not your average Jell-O shot, and they will be the star of your holiday party. Infuse bourbon with cinnamon and combine with Martinelli’s Apple Cider, sugar and gelatin — with an extra cinnamon sugar rim! — to make this festive holiday treat that’s fun for the whole (21+!) family.
This shouldn’t surprise you: One of my favorite things about the holidays is getting to make food to share with my friends and family. The winter season is one of my favorite times to try new recipes because I love sharing that experience with my loved ones.
For example, a couple years ago, I made Champagne Jell-O Shots for New Year’s Eve and they were cause for much amusement. My brother and I laughed and laughed as we showed my mom how to eat a Jell-O shot. (Technically, you’re supposed to run your finger around the edge of the cup and just pop it into your mouth. But Mom opted for a spoon! So classy, she is.)
Jell-O shots are underrated, I think. They get a bad reputation for their part in college party culture. And I get that. But they’re also an entertaining treat for all ages (21+ of course!) that can still be enjoyed in moderation. They can even be made alcohol-free if you so choose!
Case in point: My family sometimes does Jell-O shots at football game tailgates, and it’s a nice way to toast our team as a group before heading into the stadium.
It’s that camaraderie that inspired these Gourmet Apple Cider Bourbon Jell-O Shots. I wanted to come up with an autumnal dessert drink to enjoy with my family and friends in celebration of the holidays. I teamed up with Martinelli’s to bring you this super fun and delicious recipe.
These are definitely not your average Jell-O shots. I’m not a fan of using the artificially flavored powdered stuff and plain vodka. There’s so much more room for creativity! I much prefer to make my own flavors of Jell-O shots with delicious raw ingredients, and that’s where Martinelli’s comes in.
They make an apple cider that I will happily drink cold or hot. It’s both sweet and robust, perfect for sipping.
But it’s also incredible when paired with a cinnamon-infused bourbon in these gourmet Jell-O shots. You’ll need to do some stove cooking and gelatin magic, but it’s easy and you’ll kick yourself for not trying homemade Jell-O shots before now!
I rimmed these with a lemon wedge and cinnamon sugar for an added flourish and an extra finishing touch. This extra step will impress everyone!
I hope you try making these Gourmet Apple Cider Bourbon Jell-O Shots with Martinelli’s apple cider this holiday season. Your family and friends will love them, and I have a feeling they will become a tradition in no time. // susannah
- In a mason jar or glass container, combine bourbon and cinnamon sticks. Cover with lid and let sit. For stronger cinnamon flavor, infuse 1-2 days or longer. In a pinch, 1-2 hours will suffice.
- Gently grease shot glass cups with cooking spray to help the Jell-O shots release better. Wipe away excess with a paper towel so that only trace residue remains.
- In a saucepan, combine apple cider and sugar. Sprinkle gelatin over top. Let sit 2-3 minutes until surface is wrinkled.
- Heat on medium heat and stir until sugar and gelatin have dissolved. Mixture should be smooth with no graininess. Stir in spiced bourbon.
- Pour into the prepared shot glasses. Refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the cinnamon sugar. In a medium bowl, combine sugar and ground cinnamon. Stir until evenly distributed. Pour some onto a plate for rimming the glasses. Rub a lemon wedge around the edge of the shot glasses. Roll the edge in the cinnamon sugar. Serve.