Make someone’s day with this Skillet Blueberry Coffee Cake! Make it in one bowl with little clean-up and you’ll have a delicious breakfast or brunch dish to remember!
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on one and buy something, Feast + West receives a small commission at no additional cost to you. All opinions are our own. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Mother’s Day is this weekend, and it looks a little different this year. It’s already a tough day for so many.
I’m thinking of my friend who lost her mom. My friend who is a new mom. My friend who lost her baby. My friend who can’t get pregnant. My friends who are far away from their moms. My family who lost our grandmother last year.
Right now it’s even tougher to be there for one another. I would usually make breakfast or brunch for my mom on Mother’s Day — it’s our lifelong tradition! Unfortunately, I could only do a porch drop-off of a few gifts for my own mom this year.
But as soon as we can dine together again, I’m making her this Skillet Blueberry Coffee Cake.
Why you’ll love this recipe
This easy coffee cake is so delicious! I just know you’re going to love it.
- Dishes will be easy because it’s made in one bowl and then baked in a cast-iron skillet.
- It’s a great base recipe for all seasons. You can substitute blueberries with other berries or slices of apples, pears and plums.
- This recipe is perfect for special breakfasts, brunch with friends or even for dessert after a summer meal.
Blueberry Coffee Cake recipe
This Skillet Blueberry Coffee Cake is an easy-to-make treat that you can serve for breakfast or brunch.
Dusted with sugar, it’s a sweet fruit skillet cake with bright pops of blueberry flavor. (And color!)
It’s also delicious for a coffee break or even for dessert. I certainly don’t mind it with a big scoop of ice cream!
And the best part? It can be made in one bowl and baked right in your cast-iron skillet! Who doesn’t love easy clean-up?
You can also use a greased 9×9-inch baking dish instead.
How to bake a skillet cake
A skillet cake is SO easy. All you need are a mixing bowl or stand mixer and a cast iron skillet.
You really don’t need much special equipment. And if you don’t have a skillet, you can absolutely use a cake pan.
To prepare your skillet, grease it with butter and dust it with a couple of tablespoons of flour to keep the cake from sticking.
For the batter, you will need a special ingredient: buttermilk. You can buy it at the store, but I find it a lot easier to make it. I always use my friend Jamie’s easy buttermilk substitute that combines milk with vinegar or lemon juice.
Once you add in the batter, top it with fresh blueberries. I like to get mine from the farmers market. Frozen will work just as great, though!
However, you are welcome to replace the blueberries with other fruit. Try it with blackberries or slices of strawberries, peaches or plums.
What to serve with coffee cake
If you are planning a big brunch this season, then you will need a few more recipes in addition to your Skillet Blueberry Coffee Cake.
You can add a small pitcher of blueberry syrup to drizzle on top of slices of cake if you’d like some more blueberry flavor.
For something savory, consider making this sweet potato breakfast hash or some eggs benedict. Some bacon or sausage is always welcome too.
And you will of course she will need something to drink! You can’t go wrong with some fresh-squeezed orange juice, a batch of strawberry mimosas or a cinnamon bun latte to go with it. Any of these things would make her feel so loved!
If you’re a mom, I wish you a happy, happy Mother’s Day! And I hope someone makes you a skillet of blueberry coffee cake!
More blueberry recipes
Skillet Blueberry Coffee Cake
Made in one bowl, this skillet blueberry coffee cake is wonderful for breakfast or dessert!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for the skillet
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for the skillet
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, washed and dried
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease an 8-inch oven-safe skillet with butter and dust with flour. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- With a stand mixture or electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and 3/4 cup sugar until pale and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in the egg. Slowly add in the flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the buttermilk. Then beat until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared skillet and smooth the top. Sprinkle on the fresh blueberries. Then sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over top.
- Bake the cake until golden brown and a cake tester into center comes out clean, around 35 to 40 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 141Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 241mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 3g
Leave a Reply