Make these Sweet Potato Toast Bites topped with goat cheese, dried cranberries, walnuts and fresh sage! They are a delicious gluten-free party appetizer your guests will devour.
Who’s ready for turkey day?! I am! It’s the best day of the year, if you ask me.
I’m in Washington, D.C. for a few days to spend the holiday week with my brother and friends. This is the city where I started Feast + West, so it’s kind-of a nice full circle as I approach my third blogging anniversary in January. I’ve been feeling very introspective this trip.
Anyway, because I am spending Thanksgiving away from home, I wanted to come up with an appetizer recipe I could make that is low-key and easy to put together regardless of whether you’re hosting or bringing a dish to your feast. These Holiday Sweet Potato Toast Bites are just that.
Are you wondering what the heck sweet potato toast is? I didn’t know what it was either until my friend Kathryn wrote about it earlier this year. Have you seen the trend? It is exactly what you think it is: toast made from sweet potato slices instead of bread. More nutritious than bread, and you can top it with literally anything.
Now, I’ll admit, I am not a huge fan of sweet potatoes. But I thought I would give sweet potato toast a try. And then I realized it has major appetizer potential for a Thanksgiving or Christmas appetizer. I made these Holiday Sweet Potato Toast Bites and ate every single one myself.
All you need to do is toast 1/4-inch slices of sweet potato in the oven and top them with goat cheese, dried cranberries, walnuts and fresh sage.
These mini, bite-size toasts are basically canapés or crostini without the bread. Sweet and savory at once, they are totally delicious and yet gluten-free and Paleo-friendly. Something for everyone! Enjoy, and happy Thanksgiving, y’all! // susannah
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 6 ounces goat cheese
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 sprigs fresh sage, sliced into ribbons
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with foil or a silpat and set aside.
- Peel sweet potatoes, if desired, and cut into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Place in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then flip and bake for another 10 minutes. Sweet potatoes should be slightly dried and crispy — if not, flip and bake for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and turn off the oven.
- Top with dollops of goat cheese and sprinkle with walnuts, cranberries and sage ribbons. Serve warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 2 bites
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 63Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 58mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g