One of summer’s greatest gifts is an abundance of basil.
The leaves of the basil in my window box on the deck have started multiplying like crazy. I’m so pleased, because it means only one thing — pesto.
And bruschetta. And pasta. And pizza. And sandwiches.
Okay, so that’s five things. Whatever. Pesto is king, and that’s what matters.
Pesto is surprisingly easy to make at home.
Why spend a few bucks on it at the store when you can make your own, garden-fresh? This 3-Ingredient Pesto is stunningly simple.
You can dress it up if you like, with garlic and pine nuts, or even opt for mint in lieu of basil. But the base is just three simple ingredients — basil, olive oil and sea salt. You don’t need anything more, and it is perfecto!
A simple, frugal pesto to make at home with only a few ingredients. Use it on pizza, pasta or just spread it on bread!
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Sea salt, to taste
- In a food processor, add basil and half of the olive oil. Pulse until coarsely chopped. Add 1/3 cup of oil and process until smooth. Season with salt.
- If using immediately, add remaining 1/3 cup of oil.
- If using later, transfer the pesto to an air-tight container and drizzle remaining 1/3 cup of oil over the top. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw when ready to serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1/8 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 73mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
Leave a Reply