Whip up a simple Jack & Coke, one of the best quick and easy cocktails! To make the best version of this two-ingredient drink, it’s all about the ratio.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on one and buy something, Feast + West receives a small commission at no additional cost to you. All opinions are our own. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Jack & Coke recipe
When you want a cocktail but don’t want to get out a cocktail shaker and a bunch of ingredients, a two-ingredient drink is the answer — believe me.
With only ice, a spirit and a mixer, you can put together a cocktail quickly and easily.
The Jack & Coke is the perfect example. It’s my mother-in-law’s go-to drink — and for good reason: These two ingredients come together to make a delicious drink that’s simple yet refreshing.
But as with any recipe that has only a few ingredients, both the quality of ingredients and proportion matter a lot. Let’s discuss what you need to make the perfect Jack & Coke drink.
More two-ingredient drink recipes: Whiskey Ginger • Greyhound • Beermosa
Why you’ll love this recipe
Made with two classic American icons, Coca-Cola and Jack Daniel’s brand whiskey, this is the best Jack & Coke recipe! You are going to love it because…
- With just two ingredients, it is a simple drink to make. A great one for beginner cocktail makers.
- It has a refreshing taste experience. If you like whiskey and cola, it’s a great combo to try!
- Make it your own with mix-ins and flavors.
In 2022, Jack Daniel’s came out with a new drink: A canned Jack & Coke, which is made in conjunction with the iconic Coca-Cola brand. There is also a new version of this portable format made with Coca-Cola Zero Sugar.
But why pay extra for the canned version when these drinks are so simple to make yourself and customize how you like them?! I don’t see a good reason!
What is Jack Daniel’s?
Jack Daniel’s is a brand of whiskey made in Lynchburg, Tennessee by the Jack Daniel Distillery. The brand has been owned by Brown-Forman Corporation since 1956.
Their most popular is Jack Daniel’s Old No. 7 Tennessee Whiskey, which is known for its rectangular bottle and black label. It has a warm, vanilla aroma. There’s also Gentleman Jack which is
Jack Daniel’s also has several flavored whiskeys, including a honey whiskey called Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Honey, a cinnamon whiskey called Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Fire and an apple-flavored whiskey called Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Apple.
Tools & glassware
To make the popular Jack & Coke, you don’t need any fancy equipment. However, a jigger will be a big help in getting the right proportions.
You can serve a Jack & Coke in just about any kind of glass. A lowball glass (or rocks glass) is most common, but you can also serve it in a highball glass.
When there are only two ingredients in a cocktail, that means they need to be really good! Quality ingredients will make the best version of this simple cocktail.
Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey
Contrary to popular belief, Jack Daniel’s is not a type of bourbon. Nicknamed “Tennessee Whiskey” because of the way it is made, it is a sour mash whiskey.
Like bourbon, Jack Daniel’s is another type of whiskey made in the United States. There are lots of similarities between bourbon whiskey and Jack Daniel’s:
From there, bourbon and Jack Daniel’s have a few similarities as well:
- Location: By law, bourbon must be made in the United States. Made in Tennessee, Jack Daniel’s qualifies.
- Proof: Bourbon must be distilled at no more than 160 proof, or 80% alcohol by volume. Jack comes over the still at 140 proof, or 70% alcohol.
- Mash bill: Also called a grain bill, Jack Daniel’s mash bill is 80% corn, 8% rye and 12% malted barley. Bourbon whiskeys can have different mash bills, but they must be made of at least 51% corn.
- Fermentation: On the Jack label, it mentions it’s a sour mash whiskey, which bourbon is as well. This means that some of the wet solids from a previously used batch of mash are mixed in to help make the fermentation process more consistent.
- Bottling: Bourbon must be bottled at no less than 80 proof or 40% alcohol by volume, and Jack Daniel’s is as well.
- Barrels: Bourbon must be aged in new, charred oak barrels, and Jack Daniel’s does this too.
But there is one key difference between Jack Daniel’s and bourbon:
Once the whiskey has been distilled in copper stills, Jack Daniel’s goes through an extra step.
This extra process is called charcoal mellowing, AKA the “Lincoln County Process,” in which it is filtered through 10-foot stacks of sugar maple charcoal. The process removes impurities and the taste of corn.
The premium bottle of Jack Daniel’s, called Gentleman Jack, is charcoal mellowed twice. Some say it’s even better in a Jack & Coke than regular Jack.
Best cola for Jack & Cokes
Coca-Cola is the most popular brand for a classic Jack & Coke cocktail. Some people might argue the red can’s secret recipe is the only choice. After all, it has a high acidity which whiskey helps to balance out.
However, there are a lot of popular brands of cola you can use instead of regular Coke this tasty cocktail.
- Another one of the iconic brands of cola, Pepsi comes from my home state of North Carolina, and it’s slightly sweeter than Coke. Some might prefer the flavor of Pepsi instead.
- Bottled Mexican Coke is made with real cane sugar and doesn’t contain corn syrup. It’s a delicious way to enjoy this alcoholic drink.
- Try other cola brands besides Coke and Pepsi Boylan Sugar Cane Cola Soda is one of my favorites to pick up at a specialty shop.
- There are also craft sodas that are brewed for use in cocktails. Fentimans Curiosity Cola and Fever Tree Madagascan Cola are two that are loved.
- You could also make your own cola with a SodaStream and cola syrup. You can even make homemade cola syrup.
And it doesn’t stop there. Below, I’ve included some more options — see the Variations and Substitutions section.
Add a squeeze of fresh lime juice to impart some tart flavor that balances the sweet taste of cola. You could also add fresh lemon juice for a similar flavor.
If you want more flavor and sweetness, add a flavored simple syrup such as vanilla syrup or cherry syrup.
Variations and substitutions
Mix up your Jack and Coke cocktail in one of a few ways:
- Double Jack & Coke: Use twice the amount of Jack, and a little less Coke, for a stronger drink. (But please drink responsibly!)
- Gentleman Jack and Coke: Use the twice-mellowed Gentleman Jack, a premium bottle of Jack Daniel’s.
- Vanilla Jack and Coke: Use vanilla-flavored Coca-Cola.
- Cherry Jack and Coke: Use cherry-flavored Coca-Cola.
- Jack and Pepsi: Use Pepsi Cola instead of Coca-Cola brand cola.
- Rum & Coke: Substitute rum for Jack Daniel’s to make another classic cocktail. (If you add lime, call it a Cuba Libre!)
- Whiskey & Coke: Use any whiskey instead of Jack Daniels whiskey.
How to make a Jack & Coke
With a base of two ingredients, the Whiskey and Coke is one of the easiest cocktails you can make. And it’s so good on a hot day!
The first time you make this cocktail, you might be tempted to just pour some Jack and coke together and call it a day, but I suggest you measure it out with a jigger.
- Start with a chilled, tall glass, such as a highball cocktail glass or collins glass. Add lots of ice.
- If you’re adding a mix-in like vanilla syrup, add it here.
- Then, add your whiskey. About 2 ounces should do the trick.
- Top with fizzy cola. Let the bubbles die back, then add more to fill the glass.
- Add a wedge of lime or lemon as a garnish. Squeeze it in before taking a sip!
Tips & tricks
There are several ways to change up these easy alcoholic beverages depending on your preferences:
- Make it low-calorie: If you like diet cola, of course, you can use that here! I know a lot of people who like these drinks with Diet Pepsi, Diet Coke.
- Use a zero-sugar option: Try it with Coca-Cola Zero-Sugar or Zevia Cola for an even lighter option.
- Make it non-alcoholic: You don’t have to drink plain Coke! Give it some flavor with one of the many non-alcoholic options on the market, such as Ritual whiskey alternative or Spiritless Kentucky 74.
- Try a flavored cola: Cherry Coke and Vanilla Coke would provide additional flavor for a fun twist. You can also add your own flavoring with a flavored simple syrup.
- Try another type of whiskey: It won’t be a Jack & Coke, but it would still be good!
What to serve with it
Bar foods like chicken wings, fried pickles or crescent roll veggie pizza are the perfect pairing for the Jack & Coke!
They’re also a great cocktail to enjoy with a good burger and fries, fried chicken or some Memphis-style barbecue.
For dessert, you could make up a batch of bourbon balls with Jack Daniel’s.
When Jack Daniel’s and Coca-Cola are mixed together, it’s called a Jack & Coke cocktail.
Use a 1:3 ratio of whiskey to coke.
A Double Jack & Coke is a delicious cocktail with twice as much whiskey. But be careful, these are very potent drinks!
More two-ingredient cocktail recipes
— Did you make this recipe? —
Please leave a ★★★★★ review or comment below.
Jack & Coke
The Jack & Coke is an easy, refreshing two-ingredient cocktail made with Jack Daniel's and your favorite cola.
- 2 ounces Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey
- 6 ounces cola
- lime wedge, for garnish (optional)
- In a highball glass filled with ice, add Jack Daniel's whiskey.
- Top with cola.
- Garnish with a lime wedge.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 7mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 2gSugar: 19gProtein: 0g
Leave a Reply