Birthday Cake Cinnamon Rolls are the best way to wake up on your birthday. Make these breakfast treats loaded with colorful sprinkles for yourself or anyone having a birthday to start the day, and year, off right! And don’t forget to make a wish.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on one and buy something, Feast + West receives a small commission at no additional cost to you. All opinions are our own.
The best way to celebrate a birthday is starting from the moment you wake up.
Start by reading birthday texts and Facebook messages, taking a phone call from a family member, pick out your birthday outfit… then BREAKFAST.
Every birthday meal should be special, right down to the first meal of the day. Maybe you spring for a bowl of Cocoa Puffs, or maybe you add a little splash of homemade Irish cream to your coffee. (I won’t tell.)
Or perhaps someone you love will cook your birthday breakfast for you, and if that is the case I highly suggest putting Birthday Cake Cinnamon Rolls at the top of your birthday wishlist!
And if no one can bake for you this year, then you should totally make these sprinkle cinnamon rolls for yourself. It’s your own damn birthday, after all.
(Or you could make Birthday Cake Donuts instead! Another great choice.)
These puppies are everything you could want in birthday cake cinnamon rolls: fluffy, flavored with cinnamon and a hint of vanilla, filled with colorful sprinkles and topped with creamy frosting and even more sprinkles.
Now that is a way to start a birthday!
Or end it, because these Birthday Cake Cinnamon Rolls can be served in lieu of birthday cake too.
The recipe takes a little time and forethought.
You’ll want to put together the rolls the night before, or get up early and give yourself around two hours before you serve them.
This is because the dough has to rise, and you’ll need at least an hour for that, plus another hour or so for prep time, bake time and icing time.
Now let’s talk what goes into them. Yeast makes the dough rise, so make sure yours is fresh by proofing it beforehand.
And then you’ll need sprinkles. Lots and lots of sprinkles. Copious amounts of sprinkles.
(If your fiancé is annoyed about stepping on sprinkles on the floor with his bare feet, don’t tell him to put on shoes or get a broom. Ask me how I know.)
You can have fun with the sprinkles. I used a rainbow blend for the dough to give them the effect of funfetti cinnamon rolls, then used a fun blend for the topping.
But you? You can do whatever you want — it’s your birthday, after all.
The hint of vanilla in these comes from the use of vanilla sugar when you are making the cinnamon sugar. (I guess technically that makes it cinnamon vanilla sugar? I digress.)
Vanilla sugar is something you can make with a vanilla bean, or even a leftover vanilla bean. But if you don’t have it on hand? Don’t fret. There’s vanilla in the dough and the frosting.
The frosting is my favorite glaze for cinnamon rolls. It’s similar to the one I used on these Dirty Chai Cinnamon Rolls.
Don’t forget to top it with even more sprinkles! YAS!
So who here has a birthday coming up?
Not this girl. (Yet. We’re not talking about it.)
The answer is: This blog!
Actually, it was officially Jan. 1, but I believe birthdays should be celebrated at least a week, if not all month long.
OMG you guys! Feast + West is FIVE YEARS OLD, you guys. FIVE! I cannot believe it!
Favorite Things Birthday Giveaway
I decided to celebrate this milestone with five giveaways! I’m giving away some of my favorite things related to cocktails and traveling.
For the next five days I’ll be unveiling a new prize, and there will be five total lucky winners who will each take home one of my favorite things, all related to cocktails, traveling and Instagram.
You can enter below but I’m also allowing extra entries on Instagram so follow along and keep an eye out there for new opportunities to enter!
Here are the prizes:
- My favorite cocktail book EVER, The Bar Book. (1)
- One of my DIY Airplane Cocktail Kits, handmade by me! (1)
- My favorite selfie ring light, which I use for food ‘grams in the wild (1)
- The Atlas Obscura, a must-have for any traveler (1)
- This super fun confetti cocktail shaker! (1)
- Enter the giveaway through the Rafflecopter widget below. Everyone gets a free entry! You can enter multiple times, up to 10 total entries by following the giveaway sponsor on social media and up to 5 additional entries by entering on Instagram. (If you’ve followed in the past, that counts! Just enter the information as prompted.) All entries will be verified. No purchase is necessary to win.
- The giveaway is open until Saturday, Jan. 19, 2019 at 11:59 a.m. EST. Five winners will be chosen at random and e-mailed within 1 week. Winners must claim prize within 48 hours of initial contact or another winner will be selected. The total retail value of all of the prizes is $115. Prizes listed above are the only ones available.
- Open to U.S. residents with a valid shipping address only. Must be 18 years of age as of Jan. 7, 2019.
- To read all giveaway terms and conditions, click the option in the Rafflecopter widget below to review them.
Thanks for celebrating another year with me! I love having you as one of my readers, and this giveaway is my small way of saying thank you. Good luck!
Now, onto that recipe for these Birthday Cake Cinnamon Rolls! // susannah
FOR THE CINNAMON ROLLS
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package instant yeast
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup half and half
- 2½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup multicolor sprinkles
FOR THE FILLING
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup vanilla bean sugar (or granulated sugar)
FOR THE GLAZE
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 to 4 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup multicolor sprinkles
MAKE THE DOUGH.
- Separate ½ cup of flour and set aside. In a large bowl, stir together the remaining flour, the sugar, salt and yeast together until evenly dispersed. Set aside.
- In a heatproof bowl, heat the water, half-and-half and butter together in the microwave until the butter is melted and the mixture is hot to touch. Stir to combine, then slowly pour the butter mixture into the flour mixture. Add the egg, vanilla (if using) and only enough of the reserved ½ cup flour to make a soft dough. (I only needed ¼ cup.) Dough will be ready when it has an elastic, stretchy consistency and it gently pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for about 3 to 4 minutes. Toward the end, place the dough in a bowl and gently work in 1/2 cup of the sprinkles.
- Grease a bowl with non-stick spray and place the dough in the bowl. Allow to rest for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°F.
- After 10 minutes, use a lightly floured rolling pin to roll the dough into a 14 x 8-inch rectangle.
MAKE THE FILLING.
- In a clean bowl, mix together the vanilla sugar (or granulated sugar) and cinnamon.
- Spread melted butter over top of the dough. Sprinkle evenly with cinnamon sugar mixture. Tightly roll up the dough. (Cinnamon may spill out the edges.) Cut the roll into 12 even pieces and place in a lightly greased 9-inch round pan.
- Turn off the oven. Loosely cover the rolls with a sheet of aluminum foil. Allow them to rise in the warm oven for 60-90 minutes or overnight, up to 8 hours.
- After the rolls have doubled in size, preheat the oven to 375°F. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until lightly browned. Covered with aluminum foil after 15 minutes to avoid heavy browning.
MAKE THE GLAZE.
- While the rolls are cooking, make the glaze. In a large clean bowl, add the confectioner's sugar. Add melted butter, vanilla and 2 tablespoons milk and stir until smooth. (If glaze is too thick, add more milk. If it is too runny, stir in a teaspoon of confectioner's sugar.)
- Use immediately to top cinnamon rolls with glaze.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 357 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 42mg Sodium: 191mg Carbohydrates: 53g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 28g Protein: 4g