Peanut Butter Brownie Ice Cream is the stuff dreams are made of — if you love peanut butter and chocolate together. Lucious, creamy peanut butter ice cream is studded with fudgy brownie chunks and peanut butter cup pieces.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on one and buy something, Feast + West receives a small commission at no additional cost to you. All opinions are our own.
Flavor combinations are hit or miss. For Christmas last year, I got a copy of The Flavor Bible, and it’s been so helpful in planning my blog posts, so that I can make better pairings — and better food.
Tomato basil? Mhm. Lavender lemon? Delish. Chocolate and peanut butter? Oh hell yes. But I don’t need a book to tell me those go together.
Peanut butter and chocolate are one of my staples in life. I can’t live without it.
I always used to get a bag of Reese’s Pieces at the movies as a kid, and I do love a good peanut butter chocolate chip cookie.
Once, a friend made me a chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting for my birthday. It’s still one of my favorite birthday cakes EVER.
Also: chocolate peanut butter smoothies are my favorite way to start the day.
So last summer, I dreamed up this Peanut Butter Brownie Ice Cream.
Lucious, creamy peanut butter ice cream that stars brownie chunks (I like this fudgy browny recipe) and peanut butter cup pieces in every single bite.
Amazing, right? Perfect for chocolate peanut butter lovers like me. It has all my favorite things! One problem? I lacked an ice cream maker.
Thankfully, that has since been remedied, so I was finally able to mix up a batch of this amazing Peanut Butter Brownie Ice Cream.
I’m not kidding when I say we savored every bite. Chris and I caught each other stealing spoonfuls from the freezer.
We downed this batch in a week, and he’s been begging me to make it again ever since.
And I can’t wait to do so. Just editing these pictures made me crave this ice cream.
Now that summer is officially here, I’ll be making it pronto. This weekend perhaps? Hope you enjoy it with me! // susannah
Pin this Peanut Butter Brownie Ice Cream recipe for later!
Lucious, creamy peanut butter ice cream is studded with fudgy brownie chunks and peanut butter cup pieces.
- 5 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2-3/4 cup brownie chunks
- 1/2-3/4 cup peanut butter cup candies, chopped
- In a heatproof bowl, break up the yolks with a whisk. Stir in half of the sugar (6 tablespoons). In another heatproof bowl, add peanut butter and set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stir together, cream, milk, salt and remaining sugar. When the mixture begins to simmer, reduce heat to medium.
- Temper the eggs: Carefully scoop out 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture. Whisking constantly, pour the hot cream mixture into the eggs. Repeat with another 1/2 cup of hot cream, whisking constantly.
- Using a spatula, stir the cream in the saucepan while pouring the egg and cream mixture back into the saucepan.
- Cook mixture over medium heat until thickened. (It should coat the back of a spoon.)
- Strain the base through a fine mesh strainer into a clean bowl. Stir. Set the container into an ice-water bath. Stir the base occasionally until it has cooled.
- Remove base from the ice water bath. Cover with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Freeze the base in your ice cream maker, according to manufacturer’s instructions. When mixture has thickened, but not completely, add brownie chunks and peanut butter cups. When ready to freeze, pour into a cold loaf pan or ice cream container. Freeze 1-2 hours before serving. Store in the freezer up to 1 week.
Adapted from the book Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones