I received free products from Imperial Sugar, Dixie Crystals and Bob’s Red Mill as part of The Sweetest Season Cookie Exchange. As always, all opinions and recipe are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that support Feast + West!
You know those times, when you make a recipe and you just grin with melted chocolate in your teeth because it is just so good? Yes?
Well, these Mexican Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies are those times.
Back to the cookies. Why are they called Mexican Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies, you ask? For starters, there are three kinds of chocolate in them.
Melted semisweet chocolate, milk chocolate chips and cacao nibs are folded into the batter. As are three powerful, flavorful spices: cinnamon, chili powder and cayenne pepper. As my friend put it, “These cookies are just spicy enough.”
And totally perfect for your holiday cookie plates! Santa would love these guys — they go wonderfully with a cup of hot cocoa, too!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or chipotle chili powder
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 325°F. In a medium bowl, whisk together, flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, chili powder, baking soda, salt and cayenne pepper (or chipotle chili powder).
- In a small saucepan on low heat, melt the butter. Stir in the semisweet chocolate chips until melted. Do not overheat. Set aside in a warm place.
- In the bowl of an stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together sugar, eggs and vanilla on medium speed until combined. Slowly stir in the chocolate mixture. Reduce speed to low, and add the flour mixture gradually. Fold in the milk chocolate chips and cacao nibs.
- Roll the batter into 1 1/2-inch balls or use an ice cream scoop. Place 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake 13 to 15 minutes, until cookie surfaces just begin to crack. Transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Adapted from Martha Stewart's Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 97Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 61mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 2g
Be sure to check out our blogs to see all of our cookie recipes throughout the week! We’re using the hashtag #sweetestseasoncookies on social media this week, and we’re joining even more bloggers baking cookies, so it’s going to be a grand time!