You know those times, when you make a recipe and you just grin with melted chocolate in your teeth because it is just so good? Yes? Well, these Mexican Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies are those times.
This week is The Sweetest Season, a fun holiday cookie collaboration my friend Erin of The Speckled Palate put together. More than 60 bloggers are sharing gorgeous cookie recipes from today through next Saturday, and today, I’ve teamed up with 50 of them to bring you The Sweetest Season’s Sweetest Cookie Giveaway! We’ve put together an incredible cookie baking prize package! (Psst, it includes a KitchenAid stand mixer!)
Back to the cookies. Why are they called Mexican Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies, you ask? For starters, there are three kinds of chocolate in them. Melted semisweet chocolate, milk chocolate chips and cacao nibs are folded into the batter. As are three powerful, flavorful spices: cinnamon, chili powder and cayenne pepper. As my friend put it, “These cookies are just spicy enough.”
And totally perfect for your holiday cookie plates! Santa would love these guys — they go wonderfully with a cup of hot cocoa, too! // susannah
Click through for the giveaway and the recipe!
A just-right spicy chocolate cookie
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or chipotle chili powder
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 325°F. In a medium bowl, whisk together, flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, chili powder, baking soda, salt and cayenne pepper (or chipotle chili powder).
- In a small saucepan on low heat, melt the butter. Stir in the semisweet chocolate chips until melted. Do not overheat. Set aside in a warm place.
- In the bowl of an stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together sugar, eggs and vanilla on medium speed until combined. Slowly stir in the chocolate mixture. Reduce speed to low, and add the flour mixture gradually. Fold in the milk chocolate chips and cacao nibs.
- Roll the batter into 1 1/2-inch balls or use an ice cream scoop. Place 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake 13 to 15 minutes, until cookie surfaces just begin to crack. Transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Adapted from Martha Stewart’s Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
I received free products from Imperial Sugar, Dixie Crystals and Bob’s Red Mill as part of The Sweetest Season Cookie Exchange. As always, all opinions and recipe are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that support Feast + West!
Row one: Wit Wisdom Food | Beth Cakes | Alyssa and Carla | The Rustic Willow | Chez Catey Lou | Joybilee Farm | Arousing Appetites | The Food in My Beard | Lizzy is Dizzy | Lemon Sugar
Row two: The Speckled Palate | The Gift of Gab | think fruitful | Majorly Delicious | Sugar Dish Me | An Oregon Cottage | A Savory Feast | The Foodie Patootie | Twin Stripe | Hidden Fruits and Veggies
Row three: Appeasing a Food Geek | DC Girl in Pearls | Bessie Bakes | Brunch with Joy | Cooking With Libby | 2 Cookin Mamas | Lou Lou Biscuit | Me and My Pink Mixer | Wetherills Say I Do | The Little Epicurean
Row four: The Emotional Baker | Cake ‘n Knife | Glisten and Grace | Meredith Noelle | The Secret Ingredient [is love] | SammaSpot | Hey There Sunshine | Natasha Red Blog | Flavors & Sabores | Macheesmo
Row five: Beer Girl Cooks | My California Roots | Butchers Niche | The Skinny Pot | Sustaining the Powers | Feast + West | Not Your Average Southern Belle | Vanilla And Bean | Our Life Inspired | That Square Plate
Be sure to check out our blogs to see all of our cookie recipes throughout the week! We’re using the hashtag #sweetestseasoncookies on social media this week, and we’re joining even more bloggers baking cookies, so it’s going to be a grand time! Now, on to the giveaway!
A whopping 51 bloggers teamed up to bring you an awesome cookie-centric giveaway! We picked out a stand mixer and other goodies to make baking this season go smoothly. And, a big thank you goes out to the generous sponsors who helped with The Sweetest Season by organizing, as well as providing products to the participating bloggers and donating some incredible prizes for our giveaway! Be sure to check out Imperial Sugar, Dixie Crystals, Bob’s Red Mill, Cabot Creamery and The Crumby Cupcake for lots of great recipe ideas. And check out Garnishing Co., who designed our graphics.
We’re giving away The Sweetest Cookie Prize Pack, and it is worth $690! See the Rafflecopter below to enter to win this amazing set of cookie baking goodies. The prize pack includes:
- One KitchenAid 5-Qt. Artisan Design Series Stand Mixer with Glass Bowl in Sugar Pearl Silver // $315 value
- One $50 Bob’s Red Mill gift card and one exclusive set of Bob’s Red Mill products: One 5-lb. bag Organic All Purpose Flour, one 5-lb. bag Organic Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, one 40-oz. bag Almond Meal, one 28-oz. bag Sparkling Sugar, one 28-oz. bag Cane Sugar // $95 value
- Two 4-lb. bags of Imperial Sugar / Dixie Crystals granulated sugar, one My First Cookbook and one silicone baking mat // $50 value
- Coupons for $40 worth of Cabot Creamery products, including butter and yogurt // $40 value
- One OXO Good Grips 5-Quart Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl // $35 value
- One Jenaluca Stainless Steel Medium Cookie Scoop // $33 value
- One 2-piece Calphalon Nonstick Baking Sheet Set // $30 value
- One 10” x 15” Stainless Steel Metal Cooling Rack // $25 value
- One 7-piece OXO Good Grips Multi-colored Nesting Measuring Beaker Set // $20 value
- One GIR: Get It Right Ultimate Spatula in Gray // $19 value
- One 5-piece R & M Snowflake Cookie Cutter Set // $10 value
- One OXO Good Grips 11” Balloon Whisk // $10 value
- One OXO Good Grips Silicone Cookie Spatula // $8 value
- Enter the giveaway through the Rafflecopter widget below. Everyone gets a free entry! You can enter multiple times, up to 65 total entries by following the giveaway sponsors on social media. (If you’ve followed in the past, that counts! Just enter the information as prompted.) All entries will be verified. No purchase is necessary to win.
- The giveaway is open until Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 11:59 p.m. CST. One winner will be chosen at random and e-mailed within 48 hours. Winners must claim prize within 48 hours of initial contact. The retail value of the prize is $690. Prizes listed above are the only ones available.
- Open to U.S. residents with a valid shipping address only. Must be 18 years of age as of December 5, 2015.
- To read all giveaway terms and conditions, visit the giveaway terms and conditions page or click the option in the Rafflecopter below to review them.