Okay, it’s official. Popcorn week might be my most favorite week ever. It’s not even over and I’m already predicting I’ll need to organize it again next year. I ran out of popcorn kernels this weekend, too. (I know, I know — heresy.)
It’s the saddest thing ever, because the recipes I’ve seen so far look magical and I am just dying to make them all. The best part of popcorn is that it’s this almost flavorless base, and you can eat it plain or make it fancy by adding just about anything to it — see my friends’ recipes for proof. I vote fancy, and thank goodness there are two more days left in the week to celebrate fancy popcorn! (Note to self: Susannah, buy more popcorn kernels immediately.)
In case you missed Monday’s announcement and have no idea what I’m talking about… I teamed up with 14 other bloggers to share a bunch of creative popcorn recipes with you and to bring you an AMAZING popcorn giveaway. (More on that in a bit.) My contribution is this White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake Popcorn.
Based on the real thing, this White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake Popcorn is crunchy, sweet and tart. There is even real cheese in it! Not a lot, but just enough to give it that subtly-tart cheesecake flavor. The cheese is Cabot Creamery‘s white cheddar cheese powder, which is a perfect popcorn topping all by itself. But when you add just a touch of the cheese, plus a drizzle of melted white chocolate and a handful of freeze-dried raspberries, this popcorn goes from salty snack to decadent dessert.
For the white chocolate, I recommend melting bars of white chocolate, not chips. I find that white chocolate chips just don’t melt as nicely as the baking bars. Be careful when melting, as white chocolate has a low melting point so it will burn quickly. My mom turned me onto the freeze-dried raspberries from Trader Joe’s, but if you can’t find them you can sub any small, dried fruit.
This popcorn would be excellent to make in large batches for a fancy party or barbecue, or you could just snack on it — if you don’t eat it all as soon as you make it, like I almost did. Double the recipe if more than four people will be munching — it’s addictive!
And now, let’s talk about that giveaway. We’re using the hashtag #popcornisforbloggers on social media this week. Check out everyone’s blogs to see their popcorn recipes:
Tabasco Honey Butter Popcorn — The Speckled Palate
Cookie Butter Popcorn Cupcakes — The Crumby Cupcake
Mexican Chocolate Popcorn — Macheesmo
Unicorn Popcorn Rocky Road — The Sugar Hit
Snickers Popcorn — Cake ‘n Knife
Birthday Cake Oreo Popcorn — Club Narwhal
White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake Popcorn — Feast + West
Loaded Candy Bar Popcorn — Sugar Dish Me
Matcha Popcorn Milkshakes — Brunch with Joy
Vegan Caramel Corn Cacao Nib Popcorn — Twin Stripe
S’Mores Popcorn Treats — Hey There Sunshine
Cinnamon Apple Coffee Cake with Caramel Corn Crumb Topping — bethcakes
Caramel Corn Pistachio Ice Cream Sandwiches — Meredith Noelle
Caramel-Masala Popcorn with Pistachios — Love & Flour
Vegan Almond Joy Popcorn — The Frosted Vegan
We’re giving away a big movie night prize pack that’s worth more than $115! See the Rafflecopter below to enter to win this amazing set. The prize pack includes:
- A West Bend Professional On-Demand Hot-Air Popcorn Popper // $80 value
- Two 27-ounce bags Bob’s Red Mill White Popcorn Kernels // $7.38 value
- Two 27-ounce bags Bob’s Red Mill Yellow Popcorn Kernels // $7.78 value
- One 8-ounce jar Cabot Cheddar Cheese Shake // $6.95 value
- And a $15 gift card to Amazon.com!
Click below to see the recipe and to enter the giveaway!
Sweet, tart and crunchy, this popcorn can be a snack or a dessert
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
- 1–2 tablespoons Cabot white cheddar shake
- 3 ounces white chocolate, melted
- 1/3 cup freeze-dried raspberries
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add popcorn kernels and spread out in a single layer with a wooden spoon. Cover saucepan with a lid. When the popcorn begins to pop (after about 2-3 minutes), shake the pot over the heat for about 3 minutes, until popping slows. Remove from heat immediately and let cool for 1 minute.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread popcorn evenly over baking sheet. Let cool completely. Pick out any unpopped kernels, then top with the cheddar shake.
- Meanwhile, melt the white chocolate. Using a spoon or a piping bag, drizzle white chocolate over the popcorn. Top with a handful of freeze-dried raspberries, and sprinkle any remaining raspberry dust from the bag.
- Let set 20-30 minutes, until white chocolate has hardened. Store in an airtight container until ready to eat, up to 3 days.
- Enter the giveaway through the Rafflecopter widget below. Everyone gets a free entry! You can enter multiple times, up to 18 additional entries by following the giveaway sponsors on social media. (If you’ve followed in the past, that counts! Just enter the info as prompted.) All entries will be verified. No purchase is necessary to win.
- The giveaway is open until Friday, July 17, 2015 at 10 a.m. EST. One winner will be chosen at random and emailed within 48 hours. Winners must claim prize within 48 hours of initial contact. The retail value of the prize is $117. Prizes shown in the graphic are the only ones available.
- Open to U.S. residents with a valid shipping address only. Must be 18 years of age as of July 6, 2015.