I couldn’t let tequila month go buy without a margarita, right? Last week I showed you the ways of the Paloma, which is more popular than margaritas in Mexico. But here in the States, we sure do love our margaritas, don’t we?
This version, is made with fresh-squeezed blood orange juice. This fruit’s insides and juices are a deep ruby-red, and it makes for the most stunning cocktail. You’ll need kosher salt, fresh-squeezed lime juice, agave syrup, a dash of orange bitters and, of course, quality tequila, preferably blanco or even reposado. These Sweet Blood Orange Margaritas put a gorgeous twist on our taco night traditions.
Some margarita recipes also call for triple sec, which is an orange-flavored liqueur, but you can skip it this time since we’re using oranges anyway. (Instead, we’ll go for more tequila!) You can use sugar or simple syrup in lieu of the agave, but I find the agave is a nice touch since it shares the same origin as the tequila — the blue Weber agave.
You can only get two Sweet Blood Orange Margaritas out of one blood orange, so I’d recommend buying a few if you’re planning on making more than one round. And I’m pretty sure you’re going to want to! // susannah
Click below for the Sweet Blood Orange Margaritas recipe!
- 2 ounces silver/blanco or reposado tequila
- 3 ounces freshly squeezed blood orange juice (about 1 blood orange, juiced)
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime orange juice (about 1 lime, juiced)
- 1 ounce blue agave nectar
- 1 dash orange bitters
- kosher salt
- lime wedges or blood orange wedges, optional
- Pour kosher salt onto a plate. Use a lime wedge to rub the outer rim of a rocks glass and dip the rim in the salt, careful not to get any on the inside of the glass.
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, combine, tequila, blood orange juice, lime juice and agave nectar. Shake vigorously and strain into two glasses. Garnish with lime wedge or blood orange wedge if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 337Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 367mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 4gSugar: 46gProtein: 2g