Trivia time! What’s the most popular cocktail in Mexico?
Nope. Wrong. Sorry. It’s definitely not the margarita. Not what you were expecting me to say, was it?
The most popular cocktail in Mexico is the Paloma cocktail, a refreshing drink made with tequila and tart grapefruit. There’s also a salted rim and a splash of soda that provides a little fizz. The pinkish orange color may look frilly, but this is a sweet and sour cocktail that will have you asking for seconds.
The Paloma cocktail is first cousin to the American Salty Dog, which is grapefruit juice and gin or vodka. If you skip the salted rim, that version is known simply as simply a Greyhound. Some recipes for the Paloma call for grapefruit soda, which can be hard to find in the States. I like it best with the grapefruit juice, though. It’s fresh-tasting and therefore refreshing.
Be sure to brush up on your tequila knowledge so you’re ready for the awesome recipes I have planned for you this month! Happy Friday, friends. // susannah
Click below for the Paloma cocktail recipe!
A refreshing and sweet-tart Mexican cocktail
- kosher salt
- 2 ounces tequila, reposado or blanco
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar, if desired
- ice cubes
- 6 ounces grapefruit juice
- splash club soda
- grapefruit wedge, for garnish
- Pour kosher salt onto a plate. Use a grapefruit wedge to rub the outer rim of a highball glass and dip the rim in the salt, careful not to get any on the inside of the glass.
- Pour in tequila, lime juice, juice and the sugar (if desired) and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Fill glass with ice, then top with tequila and a splash of club soda. Stir gently. Serve with a grapefruit wedge, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 272Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 585mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g
Leave a Reply