Popcorn is one of my go-to snacks. It’s quick and easy to microwave a bag, but like most processed foods, all those buttery chemicals might not be so good for you. A friend told me recently that she makes popcorn on the stove, and I knew I had to try it for myself.
My favorite part about making popcorn on the stovetop is that you’re not limited to the boxed flavors — you can create your own.
This recipe is for Spring Herb Popcorn. I like it because I can use the herbs from my garden for a fragrant, healthy snack, but there are myriad ways to tailor popcorn to your taste. If you prefer movie theater popcorn, you can stir in salt and melted butter. If you like cheesy popcorn, toss some grated parmesan or other powdered cheese into the mix. Or if you have a sweet tooth, drizzle caramel or chocolate (or both!) over top.
A jar of popcorn kernels will typically go a long way, so you could try all of these and more. I’ll definitely be experimenting too! Happy snacking. // susannah
Click below to learn how to make Spring Herb Popcorn on the stove!
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- Sea salt
- Freshly cracked pepper
- In a medium saucepan, bring olive oil, garlic, oregano, thyme and rosemary to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring often. Cook until the mixture is fragrant and garlic has softened.
- Add popcorn kernels in a single layer and cover saucepan with a lid. When the popcorn begins to pop (after about 2-3 minutes), shake the pot over the heat for about 3 minutes, until popping slows. Remove from heat immediately and let cool for 1 minute.
- Over top, drizzle additional olive oil, sea salt and cracked pepper. Stir or toss popcorn with a wooden spoon to distribute the flavors. Serve.
Adapted from Rachael Ray's Garlic, Herb and Parmesan Popcorn
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 130Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 154mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g