Friday Night Delights // No. 5
Mojitos are the quintessential summertime drink, but I like making them all year round, especially for group get-togethers. This recipe always reminds me of the Super Bowl. A couple of years ago, I made them for a small halftime-show/commercial-watching party at my friend Andrea‘s apartment. That’s when I first got to know my dear friend Brittany, who is my partner-in-crime for RDU Baton, our collaborative Instagram project for the Raleigh-Durham region. My friends still talk about these mojitos, so this pre-Super Bowl Friday Night Delights seems like an ideal time to share it with you. If you’re hosting or attending a Super Bowl party on Sunday, then it should be noted that a pitcher of these mojitos will pair well with the Perfect Guacamole recipe I posted earlier this week.
For the record, I’ll be rooting for Seattle. Though I was disappointed to see my hometown team, the Carolina Panthers, fall out of the running in the playoffs, there’s a special place in my heart for Russell Wilson, who was the quarterback when I was in college at N.C. State University. So, go Seahawks! // susannah
CLICK BELOW TO SEE THE RECIPE…
Traditionally made with lime, this Cuban tradition’s combination of sweetness, citrus and mint complements the characteristic punch of rum. The addition of lemon brings a brighter citrus flavor, which helps to cut down on the strong mint flavor. Add more mint if you’d prefer a mintier taste, however.
Makes one pitcher (about 8 drinks)
- 8 limes, fresh pulp and juice
- 2 lemons, fresh pulp and juice
- 24 leaves fresh mint
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup white rum
- Club soda, chilled
- 2 limes, sliced into wedges
- Sprigs of fresh mint
- Drink pitcher
- Muddle stick
- Highball glasses
- Add lime juice, lemon juice, mint leaves and sugar to a pitcher. For a stronger citrus taste, add some of the lemon and lime rinds as well.
- Using a muddle stick, mash the mint to release the mint oils and dissolve the sugar into the citrus juice.
- Add rum and a generous amount of ice. Top with club soda and serve.
- Garnish highball glasses with fresh mint sprigs and slices of lime. Add additional club soda to glasses if you’d prefer a lighter drink.