Orange Poppy Seed Muffins are a sweet way to start the morning! Make a few dozen of these twists-on-a-classic to serve at your next brunch or baby shower, or even Easter.
Y’all know I love to mix things up. The classics are great, but it makes me happy to sub in new flavors and ingredients into so many recipes.
I do that with cocktails a lot. (Remember this Elderflower French 75 Cocktail? It’s got a total floral twist.)
One of my first recipes at Feast + West was this Orange Poppy Seed Cake.
Overall it’s a lot like a classic lemon poppy seed cake, but leans toward the sweet side. It’s much less tart than the original lemon.
But I love love love poppy seed muffins, and I’ve been dying to make a Orange Poppy Seed Muffins for ages.
That cake was absolutely the inspiration behind these Orange Poppy Seed Muffins.
Sweet and zesty, and a tad crunchy, they are without a doubt a super tasty muffin. You’re going to want to make at least a dozen.
Muffins are without a doubt one of the best breakfasts and brunch foods. They are so easy to make for a crowd!
I’m so pumped to get back into making breakfasts since we’ve been on the road for a week. (Maybe a batch of Chai Spice Streusel Muffins is in order?
This week I’m traveling to California for a work conference, and my time is all mixed up. It’s probably a combination of jet lag and adrenaline. Most importantly though, I’m so happy to see so many of my blogging friends again!
One face that is notably missing is my friend Madison’s. She was unable to make it since she’s like 41 weeks pregnant at this point!
A few friends and I decided to come together to throw her a little virtual baby shower at our online homes. We’re so excited for her and her little family of three-almost-four! Can’t wait to meet her little guy next time I see her!
Check out our friends’ baby shower recipes here:
Raspberry Shortcake Biscuits by Erin of The Speckled Palate
Lavender Curd Filled Doughnuts by Meghan of Cake ‘n Knive
Chocolate Chip Snack Cake by Jenna of A Savory Feast
Strawberry Bellinis by Chrissie of Off The Eaten Path
Baked Lemon Hand Pies by Abby of Winstead Wandering
Want even more ideas? This baby shower menu for our friend Jenna is fantastic too!
Now, onto the muffins. // susannah
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Prepare a muffin tin with paper muffin cups or grease the pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until pale in color. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add in the vanilla extract, orange zest, orange juice and Greek yogurt. Stir gently to combine.
- Stir in the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in the poppy seeds.
- Fill the muffin liners or cups about two-thirds full with the muffin batter. Bake for at least 12-15 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow muffins to rest and cool on a wire rack before eating. Best served warm!
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Adapted from Creme de la Crumb
KitchenAid KSM150PSAQ Artisan Series 5-Qt. Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield - Aqua Sky
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowls, ¾ - 1.5 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
Silicone Spatula 3-piece Set,Heat-Resistant Spatulas,Non-stick Rubber Spatulas with Stainless Steel Core(Black)
Wilton Recipe Right Nonstick 12-Cup Regular Muffin Pan (2, STANDARD)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.