There’s nothing like a good movie night. And movie night is never the same without popcorn. Never. Lately I’ve been into making popcorn on the stove. (Remember this spring herb version?) It takes just a few minutes longer to cook than the microwave kind, but making it on the stove eliminates the chemicals of the microwave bags.
It’s also a lot easier to season the popcorn to your liking. I love seasoning it with melted butter, though sometimes I’ll do a little olive oil and sea salt. Sometimes, though, I reach for the spices. A little chipotle seasoning and a spritz of lime juice make for a snack that’s bursting with flavor. This Chipotle Lime Popcorn — it’s spicy. It’s sour. It’s smoky. You’ll be reaching for another handful and it will be gone in no time! // susannah
Click below for the Chipotle Lime Popocorn recipe!
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chipotle seasoning or cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- ½ cup unpopped popcorn kernels
- Juice from half a lime (about 1 tablespoon)
- Sea salt
- Freshly cracked pepper
- In a small bowl, stir together oregano, chipotle or cayenne, chili powder, onion powder and sea salt.Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring olive oil to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring often.
- Add popcorn kernels in a single layer and cover saucepan with a lid. When the popcorn begins to pop (after about 2-3 minutes), shake the pot over the heat for about 3 minutes, until popping slows. Remove from heat immediately and let cool for 1 minute.
- Over top, drizzle additional olive oil and a sprinkling of lime juice. Top with chipotle seasoning, sea salt and cracked pepper.
- Stir or toss popcorn with a wooden spoon to distribute the flavors. Serve.
A little goes a long way with the chipotle seasoning. Add a little at a time until you get the desired taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 85 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 824mg Carbohydrates: 6g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 4g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 0g