Cozy up on a cold day with a big mug of creamy white hot chocolate! It’s a delicious treat that is sure to satisfy that sweet tooth. White chocolate fans are sure to swoon ver this rich treat that is so easy to make.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on one and buy something, Feast + West receives a small commission at no additional cost to you. All opinions are our own. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
White Hot Chocolate Recipe
It’s officially hot chocolate season and this easy recipe is one of my favorites for the winter months. If you are a fan of Starbucks white hot chocolate, then you’ve come to right place. This copycat recipe is super easy and insanely delicious.
Regular hot chocolate is, of course, completely amazing. But there’s something extra special about creamy white hot chocolate. This rich and decadent drink is so comforting and cozy.
Starbucks drinks truly are delicious, but I often just can’t justify dropping $7 on a cup of coffee or cocoa. So learning to make my favorites, like white hot chocolate and a caramel brûlée latte, has saved me a lot of money.
This is quickly going to become your favorite white hot chocolate recipe. The creaminess and perfect balance of sweetness is unmatched. It’s one of the best things that I make every year.
Why you’ll love this recipe
Fill the holiday season, and every day of cooler weather, with tasty creations like a cup of white hot chocolate. You’ll love this simple beverage because:
- It is not difficult to make a batch of creamy white hot cocoa. Even the most unexperienced cooks can successfully make a batch of the creamy concoction.
- Making your own white hot chocolate is a more budget-friendly option than buying it cup by cup at a coffee shop.
- This beverage is great for many different occasions. From a simple sweet treat during your day, to a quick party drink for the entire family, you can serve cream white hot chocolate any time you want.
Hot chocolate vs. hot cocoa
Hot chocolate and hot cocoa are similar in flavor but the ingredients are different. Hot chocolate is made with real, melted chocolate — in this case, white chocolate. On the other hand, hot cocoa is made with cocoa powder and sweeteners.
Though the two drinks are almost the same, hot chocolate is often more rich and has a thicker consistency. Hot cocoa can still be rich and creamy though! You just have to use the right combination of delicious ingredients.
Neither drink is superior to the other, but some people do prefer one over the other. Give them both a try and see which one you like the most.
Tools & glassware
To make the most this delicious drink, you will need a few different tools. You’ll need a small to medium sized saucepan to make the drink in. Then you need a whisk to stir the mixture well until combined.
Make sure you’ve got some measuring cups and spoons to accurately measure each ingredient, and then four mugs to serve the finished product!
These are the main ingredients that you need to make this drink. You should be able to find everything at your local grocery store, so here’s what to add to your list:
- white chocolate chips or white chocolate bars
- pure vanilla extract
- whipped cream
Substitutions & variations
I prefer to use whole milk for the creamiest results, but you can use 2% milk or skim milk if you prefer. You can also make a dairy free version by substituting almond milk, oat milk, or another dairy alternative. You’ll also need dairy free chocolate chips and a dairy free whipped cream.
Make this peppermint hot cocoa by adding a tiny splash of peppermint extract into the mix. You could also add a touch of cinnamon in the drink itself or on top of the whipped cream to give it a bit of warming spice flavor.
Turn this into an adult beverage by spiking it with some bourbon, rum, Irish cream or anything else that you want.
Sometimes I’ll drizzle a bit of white chocolate syrup over the whipped cream before serving. You can also use mini marshmallows as a topping if you’d prefer that over whipped cream.
How to make White Hot Chocolate
Ready to learn how to make the best white hot chocolate? Then just follow these simple step by step instructions to make this Starbucks copycat recipe:
Add the milk to a small saucepan and warm it over medium heat. Be very careful not to boil it, just warm the milk for about 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and add the white chocolate chips to the warm milk. Stir constantly until the white chocolate is melted and smooth. Once combined, stir the vanilla extract into the hot chocolate.
Then pour the finished hot chocolate into four separate glasses. Top with whipped cream and enjoy!
Tips & tricks
This recipe truly is very easy, but I know that some of you may have a few questions. For the best success, follow these few extra tips and tricks to make stellar hot chocolate:
- Be sure that you don’t make the milk too hot, you don’t want it to boil. After adding the chocolate, stir continuously in order to thoroughly incorporate the melted chocolate.
- If you use white chocolate bars instead of chips, make sure that they are cut or broken into small pieces so that they melt evenly.
- Continuously stir the milk as it heats so that it does not scald on the bottom and the entire pot of milk gets thoroughly warmed.
- Add a festive pop of color to this bright white drink with some Christmas-colored sprinkles. A candy cane would also be a tasty and cute garnish!
What to serve with White Hot Chocolate
We love to serve our most favorite cookies alongside chocolate drinks like this one! Madelines would be so tasty and Baileys chocolate chip cookies would be perfect too. You could even serve hot chocolate cookies with your hot chocolate!
A white chocolate mocha is a coffee beverage that is made with espresso, whereas white hot chocolate is just chocolate and milk. A mocha is made with white chocolate mocha sauce, which is where it gets its similar flavor and sweetness.
While this beverage is best immediately after it is made, you can store leftovers. Allow to completely cool and transfer to an airtight container. Then store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stovetop in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
White hot chocolate powder is sold in stores, just like regular cocoa. However, when you use a powder, your drink technically becomes hot cocoa and is no longer hot chocolate. You have to use real chocolate to have the real deal hot chocolate!
More hot chocolate recipes
— Did you make this recipe? —
Please leave a ★★★★★ review or comment below.
White Hot Chocolate
- 4 cups milk
- 8 ounces white chocolate chips or bars
- ¾ teaspoons vanilla extract
- whipped cream
- In a small saucepan on the stove, warm the milk over medium heat for about 5 minutes, being careful not to boil it.
- Remove from heat and add the white chocolate chips. Stir until the chips are melted and smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the hot chocolate into 4 glasses. Top with whipped cream and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.