Here’s a look back at the last 52 weeks of 2021 and your favorite recipes of the year. There were some big changes to recap too!
2021 is over. Once again, it feels like only a few days have passed since I was writing my 2020 recap.
I know it was another hard year for so many. But as I wrote last year, there were good things, too.
I choose to look for the good things. The silver linings. The breaks in the clouds.
I usually take some time at the end of the year to reflect on the work I did this year and share some personal updates.
Last year I wrote a list of good things I wanted to remember about 2020. Looking back on it I love it so much that I’m doing it again.
So here’s a shortlist of good things I want to remember about this year:
- Settling into our new house and making it a home by painting decorating, shopping for furniture and working on the neverending list of projects.
- Seeing wildlife in our new yard, including deer, owls, hawks and coyotes! (But less thrilling are the snakes and possums…)
- Exploring new-to-us restaurants in Charlotte, especially in our new neighborhood.
- Getting vaccinated!!!
- Growing my plant collection and herb garden. This is one of my favorite hobbies!
- Surprising Chris with a 30th birthday party filled with friends we hadn’t seen since our wedding.
- The birth of my first nephew! There’s nothing like being an auntie.
- Finding a sunflower field to picnic in.
- Visiting our favorite Outer Banks for beach time with my family.
- Toasting to our second wedding anniversary at the lovely Supperland.
- A visit from my best friend and visiting my best friend.
- And another visit from my friends Stephie and Megan.
- Joining the Peloton community. It’s only been a few months but I love it already!
- Celebrating some big family birthdays in-person.
- Hosting Thanksgiving at our new house — my favorite holiday.
- Spending Christmas with cousins I’ve never celebrated with before. So fun!
But probably the biggest change this year is leaving my job of four years to pursue blogging and freelancing full-time. It was a really hard decision, but I’m so glad I did. It’s wonderful to be running my own business again.
Or perhaps the biggest change was getting a puppy?! Our girl Rey has definitely changed our lives big time but we love her! Huge shoutout to Lucky Pup Rescue SC for caring for her until we could.
Now that the personal stuff is out of the way, let’s talk about the blog.
Feast + West went through a big redesign this year, and I shifted my focus to cocktails and entertaining food. It was a big and welcome change, and I’m loving writing about drinks.
My favorite new posts this year were these:
- Harry Potter Boozy Butterbeer — letting my nerd flag fly 😉
- Cape Velvet Cream Liqueur — a South African recipe that I really enjoyed developing
- Sugar Cookie Martini — a Christmas cookie in a glass
- Orange Bourbon Cranberry Sauce — my favorite Thanksgiving recipe is now on the blog!
- Moscow Mule Cookies — cookies and cocktails are a perfect match
- Chocolate Bunny Cocktails — how to turn Easter candy into a cocktail vessel — no, really
- The Best Ginger Beers — I did a ginger beer taste test just for you!
- Frozen Moscow Mule — my favorite cocktail in slushie form
And these ones were your favorites this year:
I’d love to know what recipes you loved this year! Let me know in the comments, okay?
I hope you had a wonderful year, friends, or at least have some silver linings you can look back on with fondness. I wish you a magical year filled with champagne toasts.
Happy new year. // susannah