Inspired by North African shakshuka, this twist on a brunch classic is sure to impress
For the Shakshuka Eggs Benedict
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 white or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin seed
- 1/4 ounce parsley, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes, to taste
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 2 English muffins, halved
For the Blender Hollandaise Sauce
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup (1 sticks) butter, melted and not cooled
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a medium pan (preferably a cast iron skillet), heat the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the paprika and cumin, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the chickpeas and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the water and bring to a simmer. Allow the mixture to bubble until it has thickened, about 5-6 minutes. Stir in half the parsley and a pinch of chili flakes for added spice. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Make 4 small wells in the tomato mixture, and crack an egg into each well. Season with salt, pepper and feta cheese.
- Transfer skillet to the oven and bake 5-7 minutes. (If your pan isn’t ovenproof, continue to cook it on the stove, covered, for 5-7 minutes.)
- While the eggs are cooking, toast the English muffins on medium-low, until warm and slightly crisp.
- Then, make the hollandaise sauce. Place the egg yolks, lemon juice, salt and cayenne pepper in a blender. Blend on low to combine. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides as needed.
- With the blender at medium speed, slowly pour in the hot butter into the egg yolks. The mixture will thicken as you add the butter. Blend for 30 mote seconds until thickened.
- Over half an English muffin, place a scoop of the shakshuka chickpea mixture and one of the shirred eggs. Top with hollandaise sauce and garnish with parsley and feta cheese. Serve immediately.