Leftover chicken makes a great comeback in this comforting Quick Southwestern Chicken Chili. Onion, tomatoes, corn, white beans, rice and pulled chicken come together in this easy chili recipe. Topped with cheese and served with lime wedges and tortilla chips, a big bowl of this soup is a surefire cure for the winter blues.
Leftovers are always hit or miss with me. Sometimes a meal is amazing and I look forward to lapping it up the next chance I get.
Other times: The leftovers sit forgotten and neglected. I’ll admit: Sometimes it’s because a kitchen experiment went awry, but usually it’s because I made way too much food and I get tired of eating the same thing over and over again.
That’s when I try to get creative. I really hate wasting food!
Enter this Quick Southwestern Chicken Chili. I made this soup recently by taking leftover chicken and turning it into an impromptu, hearty winter soup with all the flavors of the Southwest — it was absolutely perfect for a chilly night, and I knew from the first bite that I had to share it with you.
You can use any chicken recipe, or cook some specifically for this chili. Salt and pepper for seasoning should do the trick! Then, pull it apart with forks to make pulled chicken. (It should be noted that I’m a big fan of this Slow Cooker Crispy Chicken Carnitas recipe from Gimme Some Oven.)
So what’s in this chili? Along with the pulled chicken, there’s onion, chicken broth, frozen corn, a can of diced tomatoes, rice and cannelini beans, plus salt and pepper. The whole thing simmers on the stove and is ready to eat in under 30 minutes. Quick and easy.
I just know this soup recipe is calling your name if you have some leftover chicken in the fridge! Hop to it. // susannah
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup frozen corn
- 1/3 cup uncooked rice
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can white cannelini beans
- 2 cups shredded chicken (about 1 whole breast)
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- lime wedges (optional)
- tortilla chips (optional)
- In a pot over medium-high heat, melt butter. Stir in onion. Cook until translucent and fragrant.
- Stir in chicken broth, plus a pinch of salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a simmer.
- Add corn, rice and tomatoes, and a pinch of salt and pepper, to taste. Simmer 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in cannelini beans and chicken. Simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Serve with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese, lime wedges and tortilla chips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 541mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 17g