Feel like a kid again with Pumpkin Spice Cake Push Pops! These fun, interactive cupcake pops feature a decadent brown butter bourbon pumpkin cream cheese frosting featuring Bruegger’s Bagels Pumpkin Cream Cheese. This post is sponsored by Bruegger’s Bagels.
Disclosure: I received free Breugger’s Bagels cream cheese and monetary compensation as part of creating this recipe. Also, this post contains affiliate links. If you click on one and buy something we receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. As always, all opinions and recipe are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that support Feast + West!
Something about fall makes me feel like such a kid. I am so ready to jump into a pile of leaves and to stomp through rain puddles.
I know these are cliché things, but I actually did them as a kid. My parents had a compost pile in the backyard and my dad would always let me jump in it after he added fresh leaves.
And then I used to have a watermelon umbrella similar to this one (yes, really — the food love started young) and I would carry it as I stomped through rain puddles on our cul de sac. (Barefoot, of course.)
There’s something about those simple childhood pleasures that bring such joy to us as adults. Nostalgia, maybe.
One thing that gave me that same joyous feeling was something I tried this summer: a cake push pop. I saw it in a local food market when I was traveling in D.C., and I just had to buy one.
It made me think of those orange sherbet push pops I used to enjoy in the summertime. Every few licks, you’d have to gently push the pop up, like a chapstick, to get more. With cake, it’s the same, only you get alternating layers of frosting and cake as you push up the pop.
I looked online and found out you could actually buy the push pop holders, so I decided to give it a go with a recipe for Pumpkin Spice Cake Push Pops.
I incorporated Bruegger’s Bagels Pumpkin Cream Cheese into a super delicious frosting.
These puppies are so much fun! I handed them out to friends at a party and everyone was excited to eat these little cakes.
They’re so, so cute, and they bring everyone that excited, kid-like, nostalgic joy. Plus, the ones I bought come with a little push pop holder stand which make for easy transport and a great presentation at a party.
Also, can we talk about the flavors in these Pumpkin Spice Cake Push Pops? The cake is a classic pumpkin spice cake. You’ll need canned pumpkin and a few jars from your spice cabinet to make it.
To make the layers, you can use a cupcake pan and then slice the cupcakes horizontally to fit into the push pop holders.
Or, you can do like I did and make a sheet cake, then cut out circles with a circular biscuit cutter. (I froze the scraps and I have plans for a trifle later!) The toppings I used were chocolate sprinkles and roasted pumpkin seeds. Cocoa nibs or mini chocolate chips would also be delicious!
And the frosting? That’s where the Bruegger’s Bagels Pumpkin Cream Cheese comes in.
I mixed their Pumpkin Cream Cheese into a cream cheese frosting with brown butter and a spot of bourbon. So decadent. I could eat it by the spoonful. And I am not even an “icing person!” (I know, I know.)
- Push Pop Holders (set of 12) and Stand by Wilton
- Cupcake Pan, one 12×18-inch pan or two 9×13-inch pans by Wilton
- Biscuit Cutters by Ateco
- 8-Piece Cookie Decorating Kit by OXO
Pin these Pumpkin Spice Cake Push Pops!
Pumpkin Spice Cake Push Pops
Celebrate fall days with Pumpkin Spice Cake Push Pops with Brown Butter Bourbon Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Frosting!
For the push-pop cakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 15 ounces pureed pumpkin (canned or homemade)
For the frosting
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, divided
- 6.5 ounces (1 tub) Bruegger’s Bagels Pumpkin Cream Cheese
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
For the topping
- 1/4 cup chocolate sprinkles
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease one 12x18-inch sheet pan, two 9x12-inch sheet pans or 24 cupcake tins.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine sugars, melted butter and eggs until well mixed. Gradually stir in dry ingredient mixture until combined. Stir in pumpkin puree until incorporated.
- Pour batter into sheet pans or tins, filling about 3/4 inches deep. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the cakes cool, make the frosting. In a medium skillet, heat the butter on low heat until melted. Stir occasionally until butter turns frothy, then stir continuously. Allow the butter to turn brown with dark specks; it will smell nutty. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine browned butter, Bruegger’s Bagels Pumpkin Cream Cheese, bourbon, vanilla, confectioners’ sugar and heavy cream. Beat until smooth. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Meanwhile, prepare the push-pop containers. Cut the cake into circles. Cut the sheet cakes with a circular biscuit cutter small enough to just fit into the push-pop containers. With the biscuit cutter, cut the cake or cupcakes into small pieces. (Cupcakes may need to be sliced horizontally as well.)
- Prepare a piping bag with a star nozzle and fill with frosting. To make a push pop, place one cake circle in the base of the push-pop containers. Working in a circular motion, top the cake circle with a swirl of frosting. Top with a pinch of chocolate sprinkles. Add another cake circle, frosting and more sprinkles. Repeat once more (three layers total) and top with both sprinkles and pumpkin seeds. Serve or cover with lids if not enjoying right away.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 575Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 605mgCarbohydrates: 120gFiber: 2gSugar: 75gProtein: 11g
Leave a Reply