A fresh and succulent summer sipper
- 4–6 mint leaves, removed from stems
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 blackberries, plus more for garnish
- 2 cups crushed ice
- 2 ounces bourbon whiskey
- mint sprig, for garnish
- Clap the mint leaves between your hands to release the mint’s natural oils. Add the mint leaves to the bottom of an old-fashioned glass or julep cup.
- Add the sugar. Using a muddler or the end of a wooden spoon, crush the sugar into the mint leaves.
- Add the berries. With the muddler, mash the berries into the sugar and mint and stir gently to combine.
- Fill the cup to the top with crushed ice. Top with bourbon. Garnish with a mint sprig and 1-2 blackberries.