These tri-layer Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Brownies are a decadent dessert for parties!
There is, like, one fundamental rule in life and it’s that brownies are for sharing.
Well, these Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Brownies are for devouring all by yourself. I give you permission. They’re intense, but if you love chocolate and peanut butter, then you’ll love this three-layer dessert. However, if you are magnanimous, giving person who likes to share, then you absolutely must make these for your next party.
These Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Brownies have everything. They are succulent fudgy brownies topped with a layer of creamy peanut butter frosting and a layer of milk chocolate-covered crunchy, salty pretzels. In a bite, you’ve got crunch, smooth and chewy. Dense and rich and everything a peanut-butter lover’s brownie should be.
My friend Joanne of Fifteen Spatulas recently welcomed her baby boy James! A group of her food blogger friends are throwing a virtual birthday party with her, so I whipped up these brownies.
I met Joanne on a trip to the Florida Space Coast with some awesome bloggers last September. I remembered chatting with Joanne about how she balances her blog, YouTube channel and life in New York City. She makes the most wonderful videos explaining how to make her easy, flavorful dishes. As a camera-shy person myself, I admire Joanne’s confident, cool demeanor in her videos. She is an excellent teacher and a caring friend, and I have no doubt she is already a stupendous mother to baby James. Congrats Joanne! // susannah
Here are all the recipes in Joanne’s virtual baby shower! These ideas are so fun if you are planning a baby shower or gathering.
Italian Sub Sandwich Roll-ups from Michael of Inspired by Charm
Smoky Roasted Red Pepper Sun Dried Tomato Hummus from Jeanette of Jeanette’s Healthy Living
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup from Sadie of Dairy Good Life
Whipped Goat Cheese & Blueberry Balsamic Crostini from Meseidy of The Noshery
Rosemary Flatbread with Baked Goat Cheese from Heidi of FoodieCrush
Spring Herb Cream Cheese Appetizer Cups from Rachel of Rachel Cooks
Crostini with Almond Ricotta and spicy olive tapenade from Heather of HeatherChristo
Chocolate-Covered Rice Krispies Treats from Julie of The Little Kitchen
Orange Fluff from Jamie of My Baking Addiction
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Brownies from Susannah of Feast + West
Mini Ombre Heart Cookies from Bridget of Bake at 350
Mini Coconut Pound Cakes from Mary of Barefeet In The Kitchen
Yellow Sheet Cake with Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting from Jennifer of Savory Simple
Unicorn Shaped Cookies from Jessie of CakeSpy
Oreo Cheesecake Bites from Brenda of a farmgirl’s dabbles
Lemon Blueberry Bread from Glory of Glorious Treats
Blintz with Blackberry Sauce from Sommer of A Spicy Perspective
Pastel Rainbow Cake from Bree of Baked Bree
Individual Chocolate Souffles from Andie of Andie Mitchell
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups Dutch-process cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups pretzel rods
- 10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate morsels
Make the brownies
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat eggs at medium speed with the cocoa, salt, baking powder, coffee and vanilla for 4 minutes. Meanwhile, melt the butter.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Add the sugar and stir to combine. Heat through until the mixture is hot (about 110°F to 120°F) but not bubbling. It will appear shiny. Turn off the heat
- Slowly add the butter and sugar mixture to the egg mixture, stirring until smooth. Then add the flour and chocolate chips, stirring until fully combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
Make the peanut butter frosting.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat peanut butter and butter in the microwave in 20-second intervals until smooth. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla until combined.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the brownies.
Make the pretzel topping.
- Put the pretzels in a plastic bag. Beat with a wooden spoon or potato masher until broken into 1-inch pieces. As best you can, separate the larger pieces from the crumbs.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat chocolate chips in the microwave in 20-second intervals until melted smooth, stirring in between. Stir in the pretzels.
- Spread the topping evenly over the brownies.
Finish the brownies.
- Place the brownies in the fridge for 30 minutes to allow the layers to firm up. Once firm, cut into 4-inch squares. Serve!
Brownie recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1 brownie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 487Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 300mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 4gSugar: 49gProtein: 9g