Pizza is the answer to so many of life’s problems. Need people to help you move across the city? Order some pizza. Want a fun and inexpensive date night? Make pizza together at home. Craving the perfect hangover breakfast? Pizza works.
These Open-Faced Margherita Sandwiches are cheater-pizzas. You don’t need a fancy dough recipe or have to worry about the science of cooking with yeast. All you need is a loaf of fresh, artisan bread. I’m a huge fan of La Brea Bakery breads because they make amazing sandwiches and pizzas.
I also love La Brea Bakery because they are just a really cool company. Right now, their food truck is traveling around the country with their Breaking Bread Tour. They were just here in Charlotte over the weekend, and now it’s headed north along the East Coast through September. If you’re in Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, New York or Boston, you do not want to miss this one, foodies! There might be fresh, hearth-baked, handcrafted bread in it for you!
OK, back to these Open-Faced Margherita Sandwiches. You’re going to start with slices of either the La Brea Bakery round loaf or the rosemary olive oil round. I tried both, and they are soft in texture and loaded with flavor, perfect for toasting with fresh mozzarella, basil, roast chicken and cherry tomatoes. (I like to add a drizzle of honey for a bit of sweetness to combat the rich Italian flavors!)
You do not want to miss this recipe, my friends. La Brea Bakery’s breads really make these quick and easy pizza sandwiches a great choice for mealtime. // susannah
This post is sponsored by La Brea Bakery. As always, all opinions are my own. I am so grateful for opportunities like this that allow me to continue sharing my adventures in food and travel with you. Thank you for supporting me and the brands I love.
Click through to see the recipe for Open-Faced Margherita Sandwiches!
- 2 medium chicken breasts
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 loaf La Brea Bakery round or the rosemary olive oil round, cut into 8 1/2-inch slices
- 20-30 basil leaves, stems removed
- 1 ounce mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Pat chicken breast dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper on both sides. In a skillet over medium high heat, warm 1 tablespoon olive oil until hot. Cook chicken in the skillet until cooked through, about 6 to 8 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate to cool slightly. When cooled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Arrange bread slices on two baking sheets. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Chop basil leaves finely, and sprinkle over bread slices. Arrange slices of mozzarella on the bread. Top with tomatoes and chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and slightly bubbly. Remove from oven and let cool 2 minutes before eating.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 slices
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 438Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 239mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 21g