I’ve had ice cream, milkshakes and popsicles on the brain lately. Have you noticed a theme over here? I’m not sorry. And I’m not sorry that I’m not sorry. (July is National Ice Cream Month, after all.)
Today I’m teaming up with Brie of the blog Like the Cheese. Brie makes the cutest ever straws, stir sticks and other fun party DIYS, and I thought it would be fun to collaborate on a summer DIY and cocktail combo. She sent me a box of these adorable beach ball straws to use in this Boozy & Minty Poolside Milkshake. (Which you can totally make without the booze. Just sayin’.)
And, can I just say, she made them with ping pong balls, some paint and a drill? So awesome. You can get Brie’s DIY right here.
I’ll admit, I’m not usually one for minty things. My mom once ruined mint chocolate chip ice cream for me by telling me it reminded her of toothpaste. I’ve never not thought about that since!
However, every once in a while, I can talk myself into eating a bit of grasshopper pie or a mint chocolate chip sundae. This week was one of those weeks, especially since Brie’s cute straws totally belong with a blue-green, pool-colored cocktail.
Cool and minty, this Boozy & Minty Poolside Milkshake is your deck chair companion on a hot July day. To make it, you’ll need green mint chocolate chip ice cream, milk and vodka. For bonus points, a bit of creme du menthe for flavor and a few drops each of green and blue food color intensify the coloring and make the milkshake look pool blue, a perfect home for those beach balls! // susannah
A pool-blue mint milkshake to keep you cool this summer
- 2 cups mint chocolate chip ice cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, more or less as needed
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 2 tablespoons creme du menthe (optional)
- 2-4 drops green food color
- 2-4 drops blue food color
- In a blender, combine ice cream, heavy cream, vodka and creme du menthe. Blend until thick and well-combined. Add more cream, a splash at a time, if too thick. Add more ice cream if too thin.
- Fill glass with the milkshake. Serve with a straw.
- Serving Size: 4 8-ounce milkshakes