Earlier this year I won a giveaway from another blog (Yes, bloggers win giveaways too!) and my prize was a big bottle of Selvarey Cacao rum. This rum tastes warm and sweet, just like molten chocolate. It gets its flavor from a five-year infusion with cacao.
I am a big fan of candied ginger pieces that have been dipped in dark chocolate, so I thought I’d see if this rum would work in my favorite ginger-based Dark + Stormy. That cocktail normally calls for dark rum, but this chocolate rum is dark enough to work. And for a heightened ginger flavor, you’ll need a strong ginger beer like Bundaberg.
The result is a sweet and spicy cocktail with hints of chocolate, ginger and lime. It’s totally refreshing for a hot day. And we’ve sure been having a lot of those lately! Happy weekend. // susannah
Chocolate adds sweetness to this spicy classic cocktail made with ginger beer, rum and lime.
- 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice (equivalent to 1 tablespoon or about half a lime)
- 2 ounces chocolate rum, such as Selvarey
- 3 to 4 ounces ginger beer
- Lime wheel
- Fill a Collins glass with ice. Squeeze lime juice into the glass and drop in the spent shell.
- Then, pour in the rum and top with ginger beer. Stir gently. Garnish with another lime slice, if desired.