It was love at first macaron. I’ve been dying to make these ever since I first tried one, but I dragged my feet. French pastry should automatically mean difficult, yes?
Well, I was in for a treat of both the literal and figurative sort. Macarons are not only easy to make, but you can improvise at home to make them any time. You can have all kinds of flavors, and my mom and I dreamed up these Strawberry Shortcake Macarons.
Make them for Dad, make them for yourself. Strawberry Shortcake Macarons are a sweet, vanilla-flavored and strawberry jam-filled treat you will love. // susannah
Strawberry Shortcake Macarons
Pretty macaron cookie sandwiches are the best teatime treat. Bet you can't have just one of these strawberry shortcake macarons!
For about 30 macarons (60 shells):
- 138 grams ground almonds
- 180 grams powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup aged egg whites (3 or 4 large eggs)
- 75 grams granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- red food color powder
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam, warmed in a double boiler
- Separate egg whites ahead of time into a glass container. Cover with plastic wrap, pierce the wrap with a fork to make a few small holes, and refrigerate. Take egg whites out of the fridge and remove the plastic wrap, 6-8 hours before you make your macaron shells.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Combine dry ingredients in a food processor to get a finer texture. Combine egg whites, food color and vanilla.
- Fit a mixer with the wire whip attachment and fold the whipped egg whites and vanilla with the dry ingredients. Pour in your egg whites, and add a pinch of salt.
- Fill your piping bag with batter. Smack the pan on the counter 3 times on each side of the pan to smooth out peaks and eliminate trapped air bubbles. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, turning the pan halfway through. Let cool completely.
- To assemble macarons, spread 1-2 teaspoons of jam between the cookies.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 2 macarons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 155Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 72mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 3g
Leave a Reply