Sugar and spice and everything nice — that’s what snickerdoodles are made of.
Ever since I first tried snickerdoodles, they have been one of my favorite cookies to make. The dough is a simple and quick cookie recipe. There’s something nice about the repetition of rolling them in cinnamon sugar before baking them.
Plus, the cookies make the whole house smell incredible as it bakes. Served warm fresh from the oven, they’re soft, chewy and absolutely heavenly. These Cardamom Black Pepper Snickerdoodles are no different, except for one thing.
Here, I replaced the cinnamon sugar with a mixture of sugar, cardamom, ground ginger, a bit of cinnamon and flecks of freshly ground black pepper. This spice mixture changes the whole flavor of the snickerdoodles, giving them a little taste of spiced chai tea.
These cookies make for an excellent tea biscuit, or serve them with vanilla ice cream. There’s not a lot of black pepper in this recipe, but you could certainly add more spice if you like. If you’re in need of a quick cookie recipe, I can’t recommend these enough. // susannah
For the cookies
- 2 ¾ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
Sugar & spice mixture
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir together dry ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside. In a small bowl, make the Sugar & Spice mixture by stirring together all the ingredients until well-combined.
- In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until white and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. In batches, blend in dry ingredients.
- Shape dough into evenly-sized, small balls. Roll balls in Sugar & Spice mixture. Place 2 inches apart on the lined cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Let sit one minute, then cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container up to one week.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 120 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 24mg Sodium: 95mg Carbohydrates: 17g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 9g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 1g