After a month overseas, I have been craving Mexican food like no other time in my life. Those spices, those limes… Oh, how I’ve missed it. I’ve always had a weird soft spot for black bean soup — I can eat it any season and I’ve made it a lot of ways.
This version is a Spicy Vegetarian Black Bean Soup. It’s exactly what the jet lag doctor ordered. It’s got onions and cayenne pepper and other herbs and spices. It’s got garlic and, of course, glorious and juicy black beans. And to top it off, it’s sprinkled with grated cheese, sour cream, creamy avocado and a drizzle of fresh lime juice. (But if you leave off the cheese and sour cream, you’ve got yourself a vegan soup. Which is just as fine and dandy, if you ask me.)
In some parts of the country, soup season isn’t quite over yet. This one makes the transition into warmer weather a bit easier. It reminds you that summer evenings next to a taco truck are nigh. Pop open the Coronas, y’all, and serve this soup with a side of crunchy tortilla chips. Summer will be here before we know it. // susannah
Click below to see the recipe for Spicy Vegetarian Black Bean Soup!
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 15-ounce cans black beans, drained but not rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- Optional toppings
- Cheddar cheese, grated
- Mozzarella cheese, grated
- Sour Cream
- Lime juice
- Bacon crumbles
- Chopped cilantro
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and stir to coat with oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions become translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the spices, salt, pepper and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the black beans and stir to combine with the spiced onion mixture. Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Stir in water and bay leaves.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Serve immediately with whatever toppings you prefer!
Loosely based on the recipe by The Corner Kitchen
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 451Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 403mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 22gSugar: 2gProtein: 25g