The combination of honey and pineapple juice, along with the vinegar of the barbecue sauce emulates the effect of a shrub, which is made with sugar, vinegar, and fruit.
- For cocktail
- 1 1/2 ounces bourbon/whiskey
- 1/4 ounces (1 teaspoon) pineapple juice
- 1/2 ounces (1 tablespoon) honey syrup
- 1 teaspoon vinegar-based, NC-style BBQ sauce
- For rim
- Hickory smoked sea salt
- Honey Syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- Make honey syrup. Dissolve honey in water in small saucepan over medium high heat. Let cool.
- Make cocktail. Combine bourbon/whiskey, pineapple juice, honey syrup, and BBQ sauce in mixing glass; stir.
- Prepare old fashioned glass with honey and hickory smoked sea salt. Drizzle a little honey onto one half of a plate, and sprinkle sea salt on the other half. Rotate top of glass to coat rim in honey, then salt. Let honey drip down side of glass for effect.
- Add large cube of ice to glass, then pour cocktail mixture over top of ice.
- Serving Size: 1 cocktail, easily multiplied