It’s soup time again. The weather in Charlotte is creeping into the teens this week, which I know is not even comparable to what my friends in other parts of the country are going through right now. I can’t complain at all.
But I can make soup. My mom taught me how to make this wonderful, hearty vegetarian soup, and it’s one you’ll want to eat all winter long. You can even make it vegan if you omit the cream or substitute an unsweetened, non-dairy milk. Creamy Mushroom + Herb Soup is the kind of soup your New Year’s resolutions wish you were eating. This recipe makes enough for two, but you can easily multiply the portions to serve more. It’s also an incredibly quick soup, ready in less than half an hour.
You’ll start by cooking a mixture of mushrooms, vegetables and dried herbs. Fresh is better, but maybe hard to find in your garden right now. You’ll create a roux, which is a mixture of flour and butter to create a sauce base for your soup. You’ll stir in vegetable broth (Beef broth is also fine, but then it won’t be vegetarian) and allow it to simmer for a while before serving.
The result is a flavorful, earthy soup you can make in a cinch. You might as well double that recipe after all — you’re going to wish you had leftovers! Wishing you warmth and Creamy Mushroom + Herb Soup this winter. // susannah
Click below to see the Creamy Mushroom + Herb Soup recipe!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups vegetable or beef broth
- 4 teaspoons heavy cream
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Melt butter over medium-high heat in a medium-large saucepan. Stir in mushrooms, spring onions, garlic and tarragon. Cook until fragrant and mushrooms are softened.
- Stir in flour — to create a roux — until mixture has thickened. Stirring constantly, slowly mix in the broth.
- Bring soup to a low boil, then lower to medium heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Berfore serving, stir in 2 teaspoons heavy cream per bowl. Top with chopped fresh parsley for garnish.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 435Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 1000mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 13gSugar: 12gProtein: 12g