Nothing screams the holidays like a big batch of these cookies filling your home with the amazing aroma of ginger and molasses. This roll-out dough is not only beautifully textured, but it also tastes great straight from the bowl (or so I have heard) . . .
- 1/2 cup (112 grams) vegan butter
- 2 1/2 cups (413 grams) Cara’s All-Purpose Blend (or other gluten-free baking blend)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (176 grams) unsulphured molasses
- 1 tablespoon (7 grams) flaxseed meal plus 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) warm water
- 1 batch Royal Icing
- In a large bowl, beat the vegan butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed about 30 seconds or till softened.
- Whisk together the flour blend, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Beat half of this flour mix, sugar, molasses and flaxseed soaked in water into the butter. Beat until thoroughly combined. Stir in the remaining flour.
- Divide the dough in half and create 2 balls. Place in a bowl, cover and chill for about 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each half of dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper into 1/8–inch/3-mm thickness. Create shapes with cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart on baking sheet.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes until the edges are lightly browned and firm. Cool on the baking sheet for 1 minute before transferring cookies to a wire rack. Decorate with my Royal Icing.
CARA’S TIP: While you are rolling out a portion of the dough, keep the remainder in the fridge. The longer the dough sits out, the stickier it becomes, causing it to be a hassle to work with. The chilling process allows it to be workable.