You should know by now that I really, really, really love popcorn. I definitely get it from my grandmother. From time to time, I even have social media conversations with friends who love popcorn as much as I do. (I have another good friend who despises it, though, so I don’t discriminate. All levels of popcorn love are welcome here.)
Thus, in planning the Bright Blog Bash, popcorn had to be included. My friend Amy of Club Narwhal (one of those popcorn-loving friends) had told me about a dessert popcorn she makes with almond bark and Oreos, so I asked her for the recipe. Boy, is it amazing.
I elaborated on Amy’s recipe a bit and ended up with this amazing Cookies + Cream Popcorn, which I served alongside my Sea Salt Caramel Popcorn at the party. The two kinds of popcorn were a great combination of sweet and salty, soft and crunchy. They fit in nicely with the black and white and gold color scheme, too.
Perhaps dessert popcorn is a bit of an unconventional thing to serve at a party, but I’d recommend giving this Cookies + Cream Popcorn a try. You can divvy it up into cello bags, tie them up with sparkly ribbons and give the popcorn as tasty holiday gifts. You could also use peppermint Oreos, gluten-free Oreos or another kind of cookie all-together for something a little different. However you do it, it’s pretty addictive, so you’d be the hero of your office. Just sayin’. // susannah
P.S. Check out Katie’s post about her beautiful holiday decor on Twin Stripe today!
Click below to see the recipe for Cookies + Cream Popcorn!
A bright and fun dessert popcorn for the holidays
- 1/2 cup uncooked popcorn kernels OR 10 cups air-popped popcorn
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup (6 ounces) white chocolate chips
- 1 package Oreo cookies (I used gluten-free Joe-Joe’s from Trader Joe’s)
- pinch of salt
- Make the popcorn. In a medium saucepan, bring oil to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring often.
- Add popcorn kernels in a single layer and cover saucepan with a lid. When the popcorn begins to pop (after about 2-3 minutes), shake the pot over the heat for about 3 minutes, until popping slows. Remove from heat immediately and let cool.
- Make cookies + cream mixture. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the popcorn out in a single layer.
- In a glass, microwave-safe bowl, melt white chocolate chips for 20 seconds on 50% heat. Stir. Repeat until white chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Be careful not to overheat.
- While chocolate is heating, place cookies in a gallon zip-lock bag and smash them with a rolling pin until you have large broken chunks.
- Spread cookie crumbles over the popcorn, then drizzle with the white chocolate. Gently stir to combine evenly.
- Sprinkle with sea salt. Let the popcorn cool on the pan. If desired, break apart any large clusters. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Serving Size: 10 cups
(Photos // Sara Logan Photography)