This is the third post in collaboration with Katie at Twin Stripe. All week long we are sharing recipes and tips for a perfect summer picnic. Be sure to check out Katie’s recipe for the Basil Walnut Pesto you’ll need for these sandwiches!
When you’re planning a picnic, it’s always nice to have finger foods for people to munch on. Sandwiches are a great way to serve a lot of people, and they make for easy clean-up. Today, Katie and I are sharing how we dressed up the classic turkey sandwich — Italian style. We piled turkey, cheese and tomato on ciabatta bread that we slathered with a little homemade vinaigrette and Katie’s Basil Walnut Pesto. (She’s got the recipe on her blog today!) We wrapped the sandwiches with parchment paper and twine before packing them for our picnic. These puppies were so good! I’m definitely making them again. Find the recipe below! // susannah
Click below to learn how to make these Italian Picnic Sandwiches!
ITALIAN PICNIC SANDWICHES WITH BASIL WALNUT PESTO
Makes about 8 sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Ciabatta loaf
- Basil Walnut Pesto (recipe by Twin Stripe)
- Turkey, sliced
- Provolone cheese, sliced
- Tomato, sliced
- Parchment paper and baker’s twine, or toothpicks
- In a small bowl, use a fork to whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to make a vinaigrette.
- Cut ciabatta loaf into sandwich-sized pieces. (We cut ours into 2-inch x 4-inch pieces.) Lightly spread the vinaigrette onto one piece of ciabatta bread.
- On the other half of the bread, spread the Basil Walnut Pesto. Add turkey, cheese and tomato to the sandwich, then top with the top half of the bread.
- Wrap sandwiches with folded strips of parchment and tie with baker’s twine, or hold together with toothpicks. If not serving immediately, store in an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to serve.