Homemade Pimento Cheese makes the perfect appetizer, or use it to make the best grilled cheese of your life.
Who’s excited for a long weekend? I sure am! Memorial Day can’t get here soon enough. I love celebrating this patriotic holiday.
To me, it really marks the beginning of the summer season (even though it won’t technically be summer for another month). Memorial Day cookouts and barbecues are the perfect time to break out the summer recipes.
For any Memorial Day gathering, it’s a great idea to have a few appetizers and finger foods on hand for your guests to munch on.
I love making pimento cheese, a Southern picnic essential that’s great on, well, pretty much everything from crackers to grilled cheese to burgers.
With little more than just cheddar cheese, mayonnaise and pimentos, this appetizer is surprisingly simple to make and yet everyone seems to have an opinion on the ‘right’ way to make it.
I say: start with this basic recipe, then experiment with finding your perfect combination of flavors until you get yours just right!
- 8 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 ounces jarred pimentos, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- ¼ freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- In a medium bowl, combine grated cheese, pimentos, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- One tablespoon at a time, stir in mayonnaise until the desired thickness is achieved. Serve immediately with crackers or burgers, or store in an airtight container in the fridge until serving.
You can add another tablespoon of mayonnaise if you prefer the texture to be more fluid.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: ¼ cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 143Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 288mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 7g