Just about everything I know about cooking and baking comes directly from my lovely mother, who is a cordon bleu chef. I’ve been mentally collecting the lessons she’s been teaching me my entire life, and I am so lucky to have her influence and expertise so close. She is always happy to help when I have a cooking question. She’s like my own personal Google for everything cooking-related.
Over the weekend, I coerced her into helping me tweak a recipe. A while back, I found a recipe for an orange poppy seed pound cake, but I felt the ingredient list was a little too exotic for my taste. I feel strongly that most (if not all) of the recipes I share on this blog should be ones anyone can reproduce in their own kitchens, so I roped my mom into helping me create a new recipe. We based it off The Farm Chicks’ recipe for a Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake. We used my favorite of my mom’s bundt pans (affiliate link) and the result is delicious. Thanks for your help, Mom! // susannah
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Zest from 1/2 a medium orange
- Juice from 1/2 a medium orange
- 1 cup buttermilk (Make with 1 tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice in measuring cup, then add milk until and let sit for 5 minutes)
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Zest from 1/2 medium orange
- Make the cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter Bundt pan and dust with flour, tapping out excess. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl.
- Cream butter and sugar in an electric mixer until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes on medium speed. Beat in eggs one at a time until well incorporated. Continue to beat the mixture until smooth, about 5 minutes. Scrape down mixture into the bowl with a spatula as needed. Beat in vanilla and orange zest. Add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with buttermilk and orange juice. Stir in the poppy seeds.
- Pour batter into the prepared Bundt pan and bake for 1 hour, until golden and cooked through. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove cake from pan and let cool completely on wire rack.
- Make the glaze: Place chocolate in a heat-proof bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream to a simmer and pour over chocolate. Let stand for two minutes. Add butter and orange zest and stir until smooth. Let stand, mixing occasionally, until slightly thickened.
- Place cake on desired dish for serving. Gently drizzle the glaze over cake and let stand 5 minutes to set before serving. Garnish with slices of orange.