Every celebration deserves Chocolate Birthday Cake Popcorn! Sprinkle-coated popcorn with melted almond bark and chocolate make for a colorful and sweet party snack.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on one and buy something, Feast + West receives a small commission at no additional cost to you. All opinions are our own.
Happy third birthday to Feast + West! We’re celebrating all week with delicious birthday recipes. The first recipe of 2017 is Chocolate Birthday Cake Popcorn!
My favorite birthday cake as a kid was a colorful confetti box cake with store-bought chocolate icing and lots and lots of sprinkles. Makes me happy just to think about those luscious cakes!
Kid birthday cakes were the best. And, sadly, those box cakes are not as delicious now that my taste buds have matured.
Today I’m replicating it in popcorn form. Aside from cocktails and cookies, I probably have the more popcorn recipes on the blog than any other kind of recipe. I’m a huge fan.
Chocolate Birthday Cake Popcorn is probably the most fun of all of them. It’s crazy crunchy and colorful, not to mention it tastes just like the birthday cakes of my youth.
To make it, I melted vanilla almond bark and stirred in some yellow cake mix for extra cake flavor. Then I stirred in sprinkles and stirred it into a big bowl of popped popcorn, then added more sprinkles. I spread it out over a baking sheet and drizzled it with melted chocolate.
And then I added — you guessed it — more sprinkles. I used nonpareil sprinkles, because they’re my favorite. (In South Africa they call these sprinkles ‘hundreds and thousands.’ That fact makes me smile.)
So, it’s a new year, and surely you have a birthday coming up or you know someone who does. Might I suggest a big batch of Chocolate Birthday Cake Popcorn? In lieu of cake or in addition to cake. You can never have too much birthday cake, am I right?
See you tomorrow with more birthday goodness! This celebration is lasting all week long. // susannah
Love popcorn? Here’s a ton more popcorn recipes for you!
- Bourbon Caramel Popcorn
- White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake Popcorn
- Cookies + Cream Popcorn
- Sea Salt Caramel Popcorn
- Chipotle Lime Popcorn
- Spring Herb Popcorn
Pin the Chocolate Birthday Cake Popcorn for later!
Yields 8 cups
15 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- In a large bowl, melt the vanilla almond bark according to package instructions. Stir in cake mix until smooth. Stir in 1/3 of the sprinkles. Stir in the popcorn until coated evenly. Stir in another 1/3 of the sprinkles.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Top with popcorn and smooth into a single layer.
- In another bowl, melt chocolate chips according to the package instructions. Using a spoon, drizzle over popcorn. Top with remaining 1/3 of sprinkles.
- Place sheet pan in oven for 5 minutes, to allow sprinkles to stick to the chocolate layers. Cool completely before eating. Stir in an airtight container.