One of my favorite parts of summertime in North Carolina has always been the thunderstorms. I love rainy days, but there’s something even more comforting to me about the rolling grumbles in the sky, the pouring rain, the flashes of lightning… The Dark + Stormy cocktail seems to sort of bottle all that lovely gloom. I like to think that this is what Snoopy might drink when he’s typing atop his red doghouse. (“It was a dark and stormy night,” he would write, of course.)
Remember the Moscow Mule I made a couple months ago? Well, the Dark + Stormy has practically the same recipe: dark rum instead of vodka, plus ginger beer and lime juice. I’ve wavered between which one I like more, but I think the Dark + Stormy has finally won out! I like its deep, complex flavor. Find out if any of your local breweries make their own ginger beer. (If you’re in Charlotte, Heist Brewery does!) You can also find Reed’s or Bundaburg in stores pretty easily. Enjoy this Bermuda cocktail on a hot summer night or, you know, when it’s dark and stormy out. I will be! // susannah
Click below for the Dark + Stormy recipe!
DARK + STORMY
Makes one cocktail
- 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice (equivalent to 1 tablespoon or about half a lime)
- 2 ounces dark rum (traditionally, Gosling’s Black Seal rum)
- 3 to 4 ounces ginger beer
- Lime wheel
- Fill a Collins glass or a Moscow Mule mug with ice. Squeeze lime juice into the glass and drop in the spent shell.
- Then, pour in the rum and top with ginger beer. Stir gently. Garnish with another lime slice, if desired.